"Extract Multi Values to Points" Tool Returning Inaccurate Values

05-31-2011 09:30 AM
JedRoberts
New Contributor II
When attempting to extract values from two rasters (Imagine format), the second grid always returns a nonsense value of "-3.402820e+038".  It is not an issue with one of the rasters.  I can change the order of the input rasters and the second one always returns this value, for all points.  Suggested fixes?
0 Kudos
5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
Are both in the same coordinate system?  To check, add each one to a new dataframe and mouse around on the screen to check the coordinates in the bottom right (ie don't rely on the meta data)
0 Kudos
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor
Are both in the same coordinate system?  To check, add each one to a new dataframe and mouse around on the screen to check the coordinates in the bottom right (ie don't rely on the meta data)

Just a clarification: what Dan is getting at is that if they are in different coordinate systems, and the gp environment is set to use the default coordinate system, the EMVTP tool will do the analysis using the coordinate system of the first raster in the list. This means the second one may be try to extract a value way off your raster.

My favorite way to double check whether the two datasets are in the same coordinate system  is to clear the data frame's coordinate system (this turns off any projection on the fly)  and zoom to the two layers to see if they are plotting in the same part of the world.

My experience is that for most things in the spatial analyst toolbox, having everything in the same coordinate system is the best policy (especially rasters, features do sometimes project on the fly fine).
0 Kudos
CorentinBohl
New Contributor
I am also experiencing a problem with that tool.
The values returned are truncated: for instance instead of 34567 I get 345.
I checked the values several time and in fact the extract values to points tool works fine.
So it is really a problem with the multi values extraction tools.

I have a lot of rasters and a lot of points. So doing repeating the extraction one raster at a time would take ages.

Please advice.

Thanks,

Corentin
0 Kudos
AnnieElmore
New Contributor
I am also having trouble with this tool.  In my case, it extracts the first 3 bands of a multi-band raster correctly, and then assigns the infinitesimal value to the rest.  It is a single multi-band file and the point file and raster are in the same projection/datum/coordinate system.  While it is a single file, it is, admittedly, a large file (127 bands).  However, I was able to do such extractions in days past, so it appears it is related to 10.0.  I'm on service pack 5 at the moment and cannot get it to work for me.
0 Kudos
DavidPetrey1
New Contributor III
I had a similar issue with this tool. I also had an issue with the Extract Values to Points tool. If I ran it twice using the previous output the tool would corrupt the values I had extracted the first time. It turned out that the tool could not be run a second time properly because the field name 'RASTERVALU' had already been used as a field name from the first run. I had to create a new field, copy over the values from the first tool run then delete the 'RASTERVALU' field generate by the tool, before running the tool again.

In the end I created my own ModelBuilder tool to use the Extract Values to Point tool to act like the Extract Multiple Values to Point tool, which would also create a new field and copy the values over then delete the field 'RASTERVALU' so that it was free for the next run of the tool.

Hope that helps.

David
Simply GIS
Making GIS simple
0 Kudos