Blank error message when using Spline w/ Barriers

08-04-2011 12:46 PM
coryhodes
New Contributor
To whom it may concern,

I am working on a brand new computer with ArcGIS 10.0 installed.  The license for the Spatial Analyst and 3D Analyst extensions have been added.  Everything seems to be working fine with the extensions except for the Spline with Barriers interpolation method.  As soon as I open the Spline with Barriers dialog box, there is already an error appearing (red circle with white "X" in center) next to the Input Point Features.  There is no description of the error when you click on it.  If I ignore the error and proceed to input my data, and then try to run the interpolation, I get another error message.  Except this time the message is the yellow triangle with a black exclamation point inside. 

I have made sure that the appropriate extensions were enabled under the Customize tab.  I am confident that this is not an issue with my files, because I have performed the same task with the same files on another computer with success.  I also find it unusual that every other aspect about the Spatial Analyst extension works fine.  I have attached an image of my situation.  ALL help is greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Do you have Java installed?

Please see
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgisdesktop/10.0/help/index.html#/Spline_with_Barriers/009z0000006r00000...

and what type of point feature class are you using?

Thanks
Steve
0 Kudos
coryhodes
New Contributor
Thanks for the response.

I checked and the computer already has version 6 Java. I also checked to make sure that I have the service pack 2 for ArcGIS 10.0, and it has already been installed. I'm trying to run the Spline with barriers using a File Geodatabase Point Feature Class that was created from an XY Table. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I might resort to re-installing software.
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Cory,

I'm going to stop posting in the other thread (Desktop-General) and only continue in this one.  I just didn't want you to think I was ingoring your other posts...

A reinstall might be in order...Can you contact Esri Support?

Eric
0 Kudos
coryhodes
New Contributor
Eric,

Not a problem. Thanks so much for the response. I'm again amazed at how quickly you respond. A re-install should be easy enough. I can contact ESRI support, but what exactly will they be able to do for me and my situation?
0 Kudos
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Cory,

The reinstall I'm sure you don't need Support's help with, but if that doesn't solve it we may want to have a look at your data and Support is the best option for getting it to Steve and myself.  They'll also check for any other conflicts that may be the source of the issue.  If you contact Support please point them to this thread.

Eric
0 Kudos
coryhodes
New Contributor
Hey Eric,

Thanks for all your advice. Turns out I did not have to uninstall/reinstall the software after all. But, it did take two times of Deauthorizing/Reauthorizing the license for the Spatial Analyst Extension for the blank error message to disappear and allow me to run the Spline With Barriers.
0 Kudos