Change DEM levels with building area

Jump to solution
03-28-2021 09:50 AM
SwerefTM
New Contributor III

I am working with a workshop for a costumer where they want to se how Hydro i working. 

As you see in the first image I have illustraded a water flow from a DEM surface. But the workflow does not take into consider housing borders.  

What I want to illustate is instead of a waterflow that is accumulated accross where there should be a house. I want the waterflow to flow around the house. 

My idea is to change the dem with a building surface. And I am thinking of a following workflow.

This DEM is constructed with Topo to raster with only point elevations. So the workflow I tried is to 

1. Erase all points form the surface elevation and merge them with the result from (2)

2. Change the level for all building surfaces and create point elevations. Merge this with (1)

3. Run topo to raster hand hopefully get the profile as the image to the right.

OR.. Any other suggestion you think is more correct to use. 

SwerefTM_0-1616949772722.png

Image to the left. The resulst today.

Image to the right. The resulst I want to accomplish.

I hope I have added enough information and that my question is understandable

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would:

1. Run Polygon to Raster on your building footprints (make sure to match the output resolution with your DEM)
  2. Use a Raster Calculation and add whatever height you like to the DEM where the building raster cells exist at the same pixel.

If you rasterize your buildings to output a height value (i.e., building pixels = 10ft), all you'd need to do is call "DEM" + "buildings_raster" in your calculation.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I would:

1. Run Polygon to Raster on your building footprints (make sure to match the output resolution with your DEM)
  2. Use a Raster Calculation and add whatever height you like to the DEM where the building raster cells exist at the same pixel.

If you rasterize your buildings to output a height value (i.e., building pixels = 10ft), all you'd need to do is call "DEM" + "buildings_raster" in your calculation.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
SwerefTM
New Contributor III

Hello, I solved it with help of your leads. Thanks

SwerefTM_0-1617012687590.png