creating a layer consisting of modal values from 3 interpolated layers

Jump to solution
02-28-2012 10:54 AM
AndrewCalhoun
New Contributor
Hi,

I am working on creating a map of sediment distribution according to size.  I have 3 IDW layers created for 3 different size classes (gravel, sand, & silt).  Each layer displays the said size as percentages across the study site.  My plan is to place a grid over theses layers and create a new layer based on the highest percent sediment size in each square on the grid based off of the aforementioned idw layers.  That is each square would show the sediment class of highest precentage for that area, wether it be gravel, sand, or silt.  I know how to produce the grid, but as to the rest I am not knowledgable of.  If any can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Andrew
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Andrew,

There are details missing from your desription that I would need to know to answer definitively, but I can point you in the right direction for now.

See:  Cell Statistics Use the Max option.

Or

You may need to perform Zonal Statistics with Max option (run it 3 times), then Cell Statistics.  A lot depends on what you want as output.

You might also take a look at the Highest Position tool.  It won't return the highest pixel value like my other suggestions, but it will tell you which of the 3 IDW layers actually had the highest (Max) value based on order of input.

Regards,
Eric

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EricRice
Esri Regular Contributor
Hi Andrew,

There are details missing from your desription that I would need to know to answer definitively, but I can point you in the right direction for now.

See:  Cell Statistics Use the Max option.

Or

You may need to perform Zonal Statistics with Max option (run it 3 times), then Cell Statistics.  A lot depends on what you want as output.

You might also take a look at the Highest Position tool.  It won't return the highest pixel value like my other suggestions, but it will tell you which of the 3 IDW layers actually had the highest (Max) value based on order of input.

Regards,
Eric
0 Kudos
AndrewCalhoun
New Contributor
eric,

thanks for the help.  i was able to use cell statistics to pull out the maximun pixel value for the 3 layers, and it produced what i was expecting.
0 Kudos