Determine the range of values in one raster associated with certain values in another raster

Jump to solution
10-25-2015 12:13 AM
ThomasTaggart
New Contributor II

I have two rasters, one with thematic data, and the other with continuous data (floats). I am trying to calculate/determine the the range of float values associated with the different classes in my thematic raster. For instance, in my thematic raster, I have a class A. If there are 5 cells in my continuous raster data that overlay thematic cells of class A, and these 5 cell have values of 1.2, 3.7, -4.5, 6.23, -0.8, I would like the end result of my calculation to show:

Class A:  Range [-4.5 to 6.23] 
Class B:   .....and so on. 

Does anyone know of a way to do this? I've been trying to determine if the raster overlay tools in ArcMap can provide this, but I haven't come across a solution yet. I'm hoping to avoid a very complicated equation in the raster calculator.

Another way to produce the analysis I am looking for would be to generate a histogram for each thematic class in one raster based on the associated (overlaid) values in another. Is this possible?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Zonal statistics as table will do the job with the caveat that you may have to do a

Region group ​first since a class can consist of many discrete parts separated like a multipart vector feature and if you want the statistics for all areas with a different spatial separation but the same class, they need to be identified separately​​

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Zonal statistics as table will do the job with the caveat that you may have to do a

Region group ​first since a class can consist of many discrete parts separated like a multipart vector feature and if you want the statistics for all areas with a different spatial separation but the same class, they need to be identified separately​​