Interpolation techniques

03-01-2011 04:00 PM
PeterMelle
New Contributor
hello all,

I am trying to generate a depth to groundwater map using available data that I have. The data that I'm using is primarily well water data. I am unsure as to which method I should use, Inverse Distance Weighted, splining, or kriging. If I do choose kriging, should I use universal, ordinary, simple, etc.?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
KylePurdon
New Contributor
All methods will work. Inverse Distance Weighted method is a bit more straight forward but if you want an interpolation method with a lot of variability in the model used go with Kriging. I typically dont use spline unless there is a very specific need for it. As far as Kriging goes universal considers a percentage of local v. global points used (easier understood as close versus far points) and ordinary is just as it states a more ordinary interpolation method. I would recommended if you have the availability use the "Geostatistical Wizard" for Kriging interpolation as you can create a much more custom model for interpolation. If your goal is a relatively quick, simple, and easy to understand interpolation IDW is the way to go but if you want a customizable very accurate interpolation Ordinary Kriging using the Geostatistical Wizard is your best bet.
0 Kudos
PeterMelle
New Contributor
Thank you both for your input, it was very helpful. The map I am generating is a groundwater elevation map for Luzerne County in Northeastern Pennsylvania. The geology of the area is very unique, as there are both confined and unconfined aquifers within the county. I will consider both techniques and consult a local hydrogeologist ang geologist about the accuracy of the model.
0 Kudos
PeterMelle
New Contributor
If I am understanding this correctly, you mean creating groundwater elevation models for smaller units for the layer I am working in and then combining them together as a whole. If that is correct, I have considered that possibility, but am unsure as to how to proceed in that direction. regarding "breaklines", I could separate points on the map that are within watershed sub basins or elevations to attempt this, however I am unsure if this would be reflective of the aquifers. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos