Point Solar Radiation Errors

06-14-2022 11:06 AM
RabeccaThiessen
New Contributor

Hello, I am a a GIS novice and learning as I go. I need to calculate Solar Radiation for a point layer but even after reading all that I can find on this I still don't understand how to accomplish this. I have tried to run the tool and keep coming up with multiple errors.... 😞 

PointSolarRad.PNG

 I am completely lost here and would appreciate any help.  

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor

HI @RabeccaThiessen ,

Please can you verify if your points and raster have or are in the same spatial reference?

Does it work with any other data or if you test a smaller DEM areas?  For example you can zoom into a small area and set environment extent="same as display".

0 Kudos
RabeccaThiessen
New Contributor

I have checked the point file and the raster they have the same spatial reference: 

DEM_Spatialref.PNG

Point_Spatialref.PNG

 I ran the tool again with the environment set to "same as display". Here are the errors now: 

PointSolar.PNG

0 Kudos
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor

The error points to a data issue.  You'll need to ensure the point data were created in the same projection as the DEM.  How were the point data created?  

0 Kudos
RabeccaThiessen
New Contributor

I created a feature class (point) and then added each point through edit on each feature of interest 

0 Kudos
RabeccaThiessen
New Contributor

The coordinate system and the projected coordinate system are the same for both the DEM and the point layer 

0 Kudos
RabeccaThiessen
New Contributor

I have now created a test point layer and run the tool again with the same DEM. The tool was successful this time. The test layer has the same spatial reference as the point layer that I need to use so I'm not sure what is happening. Of course the idea that I need to recreate the original point layer crossed my mind but unfortunately that took many hours so I'm hoping there is another solution. 

Also, when I open the attribute table for the point layer that the tool creates I am assuming the the field TO is the solar radiation at that point? 

0 Kudos
RabeccaThiessen
New Contributor

I have now converted the lat and long fields from the point layer to ASCII table and subsequently used this for the input on the point solar radiation. This came up with errors again: 

New_Error.PNG

The points are definitely within the DEM extent 

0 Kudos
RyanDeBruyn
Esri Contributor

Seems like there is some disconnect with the defined spatial reference and how the spatial points are being created. 

There are different ways to create input point layers from a set of coordinates if you have them without doing it manually. 

Check out the Make XY Event Layer tool  if you have a list of X,Y coordinates.   Can also take advantage or convert Excel To Table (Conversion) tool.   You can then use Project or CopyFeatures (with environment setting)  to set the appropriate coordinate system for you final output. 

If you are continuing to have issues I suggest contacting Esri technical support to help you with your data and your process. 

0 Kudos