question about viewshed results for linear feature

Jump to solution
02-26-2016 03:17 PM
JasonTrook
New Contributor II

Hello,

Can someone please clarify the results I'm getting for a viewshed analysis on a line/trail.  The results of the geoprocessing gave me a normal not visible/visible (pink/green) raster.  However, when I open the attribute table I have over 100 values with different counts for each value.  Is it correct to interpret it this way - my line has 100 vertices and each vertex will have a corresponding value (vertex #) and corresponding count? 

Second, how do I map partially visible results from 100% visible (entire trail) results?  My line is 20 miles long and I'm assuming most of the trail is only partially visible.  I want to show: no visible from any location, partially visible from certain line segments, 100% visible from entire trail.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jason

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

from Using Viewshed and Observer Points for visibility analysis—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

• When polyline input is used, every node and vertex along each input arc is processed as an individual observation point. The values in the VALUE item of the output raster give the number of nodes and vertices visible to each cell.

for the whole or partial trail aspect you could see whether the intersect of the individuals yield the desired output

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

from Using Viewshed and Observer Points for visibility analysis—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

• When polyline input is used, every node and vertex along each input arc is processed as an individual observation point. The values in the VALUE item of the output raster give the number of nodes and vertices visible to each cell.

for the whole or partial trail aspect you could see whether the intersect of the individuals yield the desired output