Raster Calculator trouble

03-15-2011 12:42 PM
RolandoLopez1
New Contributor
hello everyone, i dont know if anyone is familiarized with spatial analyst courses from ESRI but right now im trying to make some exersises that were made for arcgis 9.3 like making a raster from a selection (this is in the second chapter) ussing raster.field worked in earlier versions but now i dont know how to do it to  get the same results as in the earlier version (i almost solved this by using the extract by atribute but not with the same results and the questioning continues...  have someone tryied to make this excersices with the arcgis 10.?
0 Kudos
17 Replies
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor
There are some slight syntax changes from 9.3 to 10.  There is also the ability to carry out many of these processes with the Python window.  Please give an example of the statement that is not working and I'd be glad to look at it.
0 Kudos
PatrickTaurman
Occasional Contributor III
Dot Notation currently does not work in the new Raster Calculator or in Python.  There is an enhancement request to bring this functionality back.

Patrick
0 Kudos
RolandoLopez1
New Contributor
in earlier versions you just write layer.attribute and then just with that you were able to create a raster based on that attribute only now this sintaxys gives trouble, for example ersoil.Soil_Ph to calculate only that field or if i want to add for example ersoil.Soil_Ph + ersoil.Soil_Ph2 what would be the sintaxys. thnx 4 the answers!
0 Kudos
PatrickTaurman
I thought I had put this in my post, but looks like I forgot.  You can use the Lookup tool, to create a new raster based on a field, and then use that in the Raster Calculator.

Patrick
0 Kudos
RolandoLopez1
New Contributor
Thnx Patrick! ok ive tried that two, but what happens if i have to make a add opperation like the one i mentioned earlier e.  soil.Ph + vegetation.Ph can i do this on the calculator or do i have to make more steps?
0 Kudos
PatrickTaurman
You need to run Lookup on soil and vegetation using the Ph field, then you can add the two new rasters created from the tool together.
0 Kudos
RolandoLopez1
New Contributor
thnx for your answers ive been playing with this and discover alternative ways, unfortunately the calculator is not as powerfull as before you have to ake some steps more to reach the same results as before. 😞
0 Kudos
GregYetman
Occasional Contributor
I used the . notation in 9.3 and couldn't figure out why it didn't work at 10! Thanks for clarifying this.

The Lookup tool only supports integer output. Does anyone have a workaround for floating point data in another field?
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Greg

Only integer rasters have other fields. A floating point raster does not have any other fields.

Steve
0 Kudos