Search for raster cells representing only specific structures

09-13-2023 09:06 PM
DanOcean
New Contributor II

- Using Pro 3.1.1

I need to locate specific infrastructure on a 3m resolution DEM. The specific infrastructure are dams throughout a county. Naturally, I went through the usual hydrology tools to narrow down search area to the stream network within the county, and I began by using the masked Extract by Attributes on a Drop Raster because it seemed like the best choice. The search did locate most of the dams (I have a validation data set), but it also located thousands of other false positives. What other tools or code is available to further refine the search to only locate the dams?

Perhaps a better question would be how can I include more search criteria in the process? For example "locate only cells that are grouped adjacent to each other with high threshold values" and/or "locate only cells that are within a short distance (say 3 meters) from a large water body" (which could be the expected reservoir upstream of the dam). 

I am a novice with Python (teaching myself in spare time), but was also exploring the Raster Cell Iterator as a potential. Good idea/bad idea? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you have a value threshold in mind .... > , >=

An overview of the Logical Math toolset—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

"buffering" for within a distance of, can be done using a variety of means, like

Euclidean Distance (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

These are just some samples of what can be done using the spatial analyst tools

condition checking like Con can be used to query conditions like your distance question from water

An overview of the Conditional toolset—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos