Setting a threshold for defining 'contiguous' areas

05-14-2012 07:50 PM
SimonNeville
New Contributor II
Hi all

I want to create a shapefile (and eventually a grid) of contiguous veg areas (will be using area as the final grid output).

That is easy enough to do, except client wants me to set a threshold that any patch joined by a corridor less than 50m wide should be considered non-contiguous.

Does anyone have a simple method that they have used to cut polygons when they are less than 50m wide (or identify if less than 2 pixels if I grid it)? I need to keep the original polygon outlines and areas.

thanks

Simon
0 Kudos
1 Reply
SimonNeville
New Contributor II
Hi all

I want to create a shapefile (and eventually a grid) of contiguous veg areas (will be using area as the final grid output).

That is easy enough to do, except client wants me to set a threshold that any patch joined by a corridor less than 50m wide should be considered non-contiguous.

Does anyone have a simple method that they have used to cut polygons when they are less than 50m wide (or identify if less than 2 pixels if I grid it)? I need to keep the original polygon outlines and areas.

thanks

Simon

POSTSCRIPT - cancel request: Decided to use Euclidean distance to ID any cell <30m from cleared area. This cuts out the narrow corridors. cheers.
0 Kudos