Spatial Analyst Crashing

09-10-2010 11:00 AM
JamesSnider
New Contributor
Hi All -- your advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Erroneously posted in the old extensions forum, my apologies:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/12588-Spatial-Analyst-keeps-crashing...

A quick summary:

Spatial Analyst crashes for all processing, including small datasets and simple tasks, using ArcMap, ArcCatalog or Python. My licence includes this extension, and I had been successfully using it for quite some time.

I have re-installed, changed licences (and usb dongles), but still I'm stuck.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,
James
0 Kudos
8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
have you deleted out all the "crap" from your temporary folders (ie Temp, your scratch and default folders)?
0 Kudos
JamesSnider
New Contributor
Thanks Dan. Unfortunately, yes, I have deleted my temp cache. I even tried changing my temp and scratch directories.

Still stumped on this one, so any further suggestions would be welcomed!

James
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
It could be anything...but some suggestions on this and the old forum suggested locating and renaming your normal.mxt file to something else, reboot, try again.  Are there any 3rd party extensions that you loaded that might contribute to the problem?  Are you working on a local machine or is there some network stuff involved?
0 Kudos
JamesSnider
New Contributor
Thanks Dan. I uninstalled all third-party extensions and then re-installed ArcGIS, and things seem to be working fine!

Many thanks,
James
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
James
In your spare time...you might want to reinstall the 3rd party extension...if things go crap again...post the name of the extension.  It could have been the reinstall..the uninstall...the unstall and reinstall, but in short, it would save other people the equivalent amount of time you spent on tracking down the problem.
Glad things worked out
0 Kudos
JamesSnider
New Contributor
Thanks Dan.
Unfortunately, this problem is back again! And I haven't even re-installed any third-party extensions. Which, as you might imagine, is very frustrating!

Things were working just fine, until I started trying to build a script in Python using Spatial Analyst functions (which was the same as last time). Now I can't run Spatial Analyst tools anywhere!

I'll try the normal templates approach again. I'm hoping that I won't have to un-install and re-install, again...
0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
I think it is time for an ESRI tech support call before you do the uninstall route again
0 Kudos
JamesSnider
New Contributor
Thanks Dan! Will do!
I'll keep you posted on what they advise...
0 Kudos