Topo to Raster batch processing error

01-22-2013 07:16 AM
EleanorRusack
New Contributor
Hello,

I have a problem with a script for batch processing point elevations and streamlines using topo to raster to interpolate a DEM.

Essentially we use another script that clips a 90m dem and streamlines to 1x1 degree cells and converts the dem to point elevation. The second script loops though all of the clipped point elevation and streamlines, along with a boundary feature class, and re-interpolates the DEM using topo to raster.

The Topo to Raster script worked relatively fine in v10 however now that I am trying to run it in 10.1 it fails after 13 loops. Last year it failed after 28 loops but it has now started going for only 13 loops

When it fails, if it is running in the foreground arcmap just closes without any error message. I have been writing the errors to a logfile and it just stops writing to the logfile, there is no error message. If it is running in the background it just tells me that it has failed but gives no error message - the only messages in the geoprocessing results are "executing, start time, and running script..."

In 10 it would crash arc occasionally with a visual fortran error but it would always crash on the same cell and I fixed it by using a lower value for the margins.. In 10.1 it is consistently crashing after 13 loops so i dont think it is the same problem (changing the margins does not fix the problem)

Has anyone had this problem before, I'm completely stuck...! I've attached the script to this message

Thanks in advance for any help
0 Kudos
4 Replies
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Can you isolate the input data and run it (the 13th one) as a geoprocessing tool in ArcMap?
0 Kudos
EleanorRusack
New Contributor
Hi Steve,

Yes I have tried isolating the piece it fails on and running it as a geoprocessing tool and it runs without problems on the one piece. I made a mistake with the number of loops - it is actually 15 (ie failed on the 16th) however the first run failed on the 18th. This was not the case in v10 - when it crashed with the visual fortran error it always crashed on the same piece, and that piece would also fail when isolated and ran in the topo to raster geoprocessing tool.

I have also tried starting it at different numbers, ie 10 instead of 1, and it ran until 38 (this was last year when it would fail after 28 loops). When I restart it after it fails it runs without problem for another 15 loops. I have had this happen with another script and it was because when arc crashed it was re-setting all of the environmental variables. However when i run it in background processing arc does not crash and the script will restart without a problem on the piece it failed on, without me having to do anything (ie I just double click on the failed process in the results window, change the start id of the script to the one that failed, and it runs for another 15 loops)

I have just recreated all of the input data in shapefiles instead of gdb feature classes and am going to try running the script in 9.3 to see if I can get it to run all the way through

Ellie
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Ellie

We made a big change to TopoToRaster in ArcGIS 10.1.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Spatial_Analyst_toolbox/016w00000047000000...

You may also want to look at
http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2012/08/13/how-large-a-dem-can-the-topotoraster-tool-create/

If you can isolate the problem please send it to me (slynch@esri.com)

Thanks
Steve
0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor
Christopher

Please could you send me the data (slynch@esri.com) and the parameters that cause this problem?

And have you installed Service Pack1 for 10.1?

Steve
0 Kudos