US Census Raster Grids to a Table?

07-24-2013 11:47 AM
JessicaBarnabei
New Contributor III
My boss has tasked me to take the gridded 2000 Census data, found here: http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/data/set/usgrid-summary-file3-2000  and he wants a lat/long of each point along with its value, and it exported out to a dbf or csv eventually.  He doesn't use ArcGIS......he is an excel guru and loves to analyze statistics through that.  So the way this is broken down is that each attribute of the census has its own file.  You can download it in GeoTiff or ASCII.  Each file is on the same grid, but I see no unique grid cell ID.  Must be internal?  I tried GeoTiff first.  I thought I could use the Raster to Point tool to create points with which to extract data by, but it does not convert the NoData Cells to point.  And since this is grid that I want to reference multiple attributes to the same grid cell, that won't work. I tried downloading the ASCII file, next hoping it would have data visible that the GeoTiff did not.  I viewed it notepad but I doesn't seem to have what I need either, but I'm not sure that I'm viewing it correctly or if I need to calculate anything.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

The goal is to eventually do the same thing for the gridded 2010 Census data when it comes out later in 2014.  Then have some comparison.  I checked into doing this myself and asked the person at SEDAC how long he thought it might take.  He said 3 months just for one census year and that was running a cluster of super computers. Yikes! I'll wait!

I'm using ArcMap 10.1 with all the extensions such as Spatial Analyst and Geostatistical Analyst.  Service Pack 1.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JessicaBarnabei
New Contributor III
I asked a person at CIESIN (Columbia University) who has had to do this on the Census Grid data and they said I needed to know how to use Python, GDAL, and NUMPY in order to do this.....which I do not.  If there are other ways that anyone else knows of, I'd be anxious to hear.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
TOMKONG
Occasional Contributor II
My boss has tasked me to take the gridded 2000 Census data, found here: http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/data/set/usgrid-summary-file3-2000  and he wants a lat/long of each point along with its value, and it exported out to a dbf or csv eventually.  He doesn't use ArcGIS......he is an excel guru and loves to analyze statistics through that.  So the way this is broken down is that each attribute of the census has its own file.  You can download it in GeoTiff or ASCII.  Each file is on the same grid, but I see no unique grid cell ID.  Must be internal?  I tried GeoTiff first.  I thought I could use the Raster to Point tool to create points with which to extract data by, but it does not convert the NoData Cells to point.  And since this is grid that I want to reference multiple attributes to the same grid cell, that won't work. I tried downloading the ASCII file, next hoping it would have data visible that the GeoTiff did not.  I viewed it notepad but I doesn't seem to have what I need either, but I'm not sure that I'm viewing it correctly or if I need to calculate anything.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

The goal is to eventually do the same thing for the gridded 2010 Census data when it comes out later in 2014.  Then have some comparison.  I checked into doing this myself and asked the person at SEDAC how long he thought it might take.  He said 3 months just for one census year and that was running a cluster of super computers. Yikes! I'll wait!

I'm using ArcMap 10.1 with all the extensions such as Spatial Analyst and Geostatistical Analyst.  Service Pack 1.

You can reclassify the NoData as one number (ig 555), then you can convert all cells to points, then using ID to join its attribute to point layer.
Then using spatial join to join all attribute point layers together.
0 Kudos