Zonal statistics as Table is failing with ERROR 999998

02-03-2022 05:39 PM
LubaD
by
New Contributor

I have a file with 78+ thousands of polygons and trying to run Zonal Statistics as Table tool using it and a raster with of slope values. Area covered is the entire state of the Rhode island. Every time I try to run it completely or half of the dataset it gives me this error after lengthy (approx 20 min) processing. However when I tried to do it on 14 only tiles it worked without issues. I assume that this tool cannot work on either so many objects or such big raster files. Is it so or am I missing something? if that's correct, is there any guidelines on what is the maximum number of polygons I can choose for processing?

Best wishes,

Luba

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you convert the zone polygons to raster first?

Zonal Statistics as Table (Spatial Analyst)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

How the zonal statistics tools work—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

the cell size snap raster and coordinate system are all important and will have to be dealt with by you or letting the software make the decisions for you...the former is the best option since you know that the processing extent, cell size and alignment are correct and the coordinate system is the same

... sort of retired...
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you provide more information? How many rows and columns is the slope raster? What are these polygons, and what are you trying to accomplish? (There may be a better way.)

I'm thinking the problem is in the raster to polygon conversion of these polygons, you may have better luck if you convert the polygons to a raster first and then try the zonal statistics. (This also gives you more control on how the raster is created with all the options on the Polygon To Raster tool.)

0 Kudos
Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

Are there any overlapping polygons?

Luke_Pinner_0-1643954650370.png

SarmisthaChatterjee
Esri Contributor

Hi Luba,

We have executed Zonal Statistics as Table tool successfully with a large number of zones (million+), and with large rasters. So, the problem could be related to the specific data you are using, or the specific version of the software.

So, I would like to take a closer look at your use case, where Zonal statistics as Table is failing with ERROR 999998.

Zonal Statistics as Table tool supports overlapping polygons from ArcGIS Pro version 2.5 onwards, so it should not be a problem. So, there is no need to convert the zone features to a raster to execute the tool.

Sometimes, this kind of problem can happen with mosaic or image service, due to the limit set on a mosaic or on the server.

If you are using a mosaic dataset, please check the mosaic dataset property from the Catalog, and check what is the Maximum Number of Rasters Per Mosaic (under Image Properties).

Please make sure, that this number is equal to or greater than the number of tiles you are trying to analyze.

If you are using an image service, you could be hitting a limit by the server of how many cells you can process. Can you please try a larger cell size for the full analysis extent (same as your zone polygons)?

By adjusting extent, and cell size, you can avoid hitting the server limitation, if there is any.

I will follow up with you requesting additional information, if the problem still persists.

Thanks,

Sarmistha

0 Kudos