Can I export point data from the new StoryMap Guided Tour created with new 2022 storymap builder?

Jump to solution
02-10-2022 12:05 PM
StacyPoulos
New Contributor

Two storymap point data questions actually-  1) I created an explorer map tour using the new storymap.arcgis.com app by inserting text, media, and dropping points on the map, etc.,  but I do not see how I can export the spatial data (i.e., the point layer) along with attributes (text and media links) from the map - do I have to recreate the whole thing if I want to convert it the existing storymap to a data-driven map? Where can I find the existing webmap that is embedded within the storymap? This data must exist in code somewhere, right?

And (2) is there a template somewhere for the attribute table to develop a feature service for the new storymap? I've been having trouble adding media attachments to existing feature service even with permissions enabled, so the short-term solution was to just use the storymap builder. 

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@StacyPoulos -- Exporting information from an express map or map tour is not supported. These are meant to be simple storytelling resources rather than data sources, so at this time we have no plans to build typical GIS tools to manipulate the content. (We are amending the FAQ here to explicitly mention map tours in our next update.)

You may be able to use the ArcGIS Assistant to inspect the draft.json resource of your story and manually extract the location data.

For the second question, there isn't a template because you can choose any fields in your feature service to serve as the title and description for your tour places.

Can I ask why you are choosing to manage your data in a feature service instead of building it directly in the story builder? The feature service option for building a tour is mainly intended for the situation where you have a feature service that was or is being generated by another ArcGIS app like Survey123, QuickCapture, or Field Maps.

We are currently doing a research project on how people are using map tours, so we'd love to hear more about what your expectations are and why you are making certain choices for how to build your tour. Please share any additional information or feedback that you think would be helpful.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@StacyPoulos -- Exporting information from an express map or map tour is not supported. These are meant to be simple storytelling resources rather than data sources, so at this time we have no plans to build typical GIS tools to manipulate the content. (We are amending the FAQ here to explicitly mention map tours in our next update.)

You may be able to use the ArcGIS Assistant to inspect the draft.json resource of your story and manually extract the location data.

For the second question, there isn't a template because you can choose any fields in your feature service to serve as the title and description for your tour places.

Can I ask why you are choosing to manage your data in a feature service instead of building it directly in the story builder? The feature service option for building a tour is mainly intended for the situation where you have a feature service that was or is being generated by another ArcGIS app like Survey123, QuickCapture, or Field Maps.

We are currently doing a research project on how people are using map tours, so we'd love to hear more about what your expectations are and why you are making certain choices for how to build your tour. Please share any additional information or feedback that you think would be helpful.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos