Web Maps Not Displaying in StoryMaps

Jump to solution
06-27-2022 07:32 AM
jfischer91
New Contributor III

We're creating a Story Map with ArcGIS Story Maps, and everything was working fine until last Friday it seems; now, whether viewing the Story Map in Chrome or Edge, certain web maps will not display. Or, they'll display after clearing your browser cache upon first load but then disappear after a while. The behavior is the same whether editing or previewing the Story Map. I'm guessing it's related to the update esri pushed a few days ago?  Is anyone else having this experience, and have you found a workaround?  I'm wondering if it's related to if the web map was authored in Classic Map Viewer or the new one, but I haven't tested it fully to know for sure.

Example screenshot of what I mean attached.

72 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@Oregon_OEM @CarstenBraun -- Thank you for reporting this and providing the links to the stories where you have observed the problem. We are looking into this as a high priority issue and will share updates on the community site when we have more information.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
Oregon_OEM
New Contributor

Thanks, @OwenGeo . Here's another example storymap for reference (includes more web maps and a web scene that isn't working): https://storymaps.arcgis.com/collections/8f13909f2af14774aabeae254dab5cdd?item=6

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Thank you to everyone who has reported this issue. We have determined the cause of the issue and have also found several workarounds. Please see this announcement for details:

ANNOUNCEMENT: Issue with some maps not loading - Esri Community

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
Oregon_OEM
New Contributor

Thanks, @OwenGeo. I took a look at our apps and in the cases for the issues, here's what we have on our web maps:

• None have hidden layers
  • Some don't have the legend enabled (specifically for the one that is the web scene)
  • A few just include a map notes with no legend
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Thanks for this additional information, @Oregon_OEM. It looks like the issue can be triggered by layers that are toggled off OR not shown in the legend (such as the "Jurisdiction Reference Layer" in your map).

I will update our announcement to reflect this.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
TimMcGrath
New Contributor II

This is happening to our org now. This story map is no longer working. Unfortunately this is super bad timing as I have a usability test with it starting this afternoon.
https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/83f77afefd244045aaffc1cfabd03062

YelenaCummings
New Contributor III
Hi TimMcGrath,
are you sure you shared your project's web map correctly? ( with the public)?
0 Kudos
TimMcGrath
New Contributor II
Yes. These were working fine a few weeks ago. Then they stopped working when I checked today. I opened a case on this and am going through the diagnostics she sent.
Esri Case #03595696
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@TimMcGrath -- Thanks for reporting your issue and I'm sorry you are seeing an issue with your story.

The web map that doesn't appear to be loading has an id of 4c4ca999fba64ca6b7f75d2690e9b290. When I search ArcGIS Online, I cannot find a web map with that ID, so this indicates that map is not shared publicly or has been deleted.

As a next step I'd recommend that you look into the status of that web map.

Owen Evans
TimMcGrath
New Contributor II

Hi @OwenGeo,

Turns out our case was operator error. The web map was accidentally deleted. Thanks for checking though. Sorry for wasting your time.

0 Kudos