Edge match data for shared CAD system.

02-17-2011 06:02 AM
AndrewHayden1
Occasional Contributor
I'm not sure Public Safety is the best place to post this question, but I figured I'd give it a shot here first. 

I am working with a CAD system that is shared by several counties.  Each county maintains it's own GIS data and once a month various layers are exported, sent to someone (this is me now), merged together and brought in to the CAD system.  We've never had a process to resolve overshoots, undershoots or gaps in data (in the area where each county meets) and I can see that we've got some issues because of this (street segments getting assigned incorrect response districts etc).  I've played around with "snap" and "integrate" to try to clean things up a little bit, but it just seems too rough.  I've contemplated setting up topology rules and importing the data but 1) I'm not familiar enough with it and 2) my sense is that if I am getting updated data once a month, it's going to be too time consuming. 

I'm wondering if anyone has any general suggestions on trying to resolve the issue?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
SarahMerz
New Contributor III
I would recommend that you get together with surround GIS data suppliers and have the datasets edgematched so each subsequent data update you get from them is topologically correct each time you update.  This should relieve and redundancy in edgematching each time you do updates.
0 Kudos