G.I.S. used to recognize fungal and viral disease in agricolture and food, urgent!!!

07-11-2012 01:06 AM
GiacomoRossi
New Contributor
Hello,
I am Giacomo Rossi, a GIS student that is doing an traineeship in the Ministry of Agricolture of Malta, exactly at the plant health department, and I am going to show, during a seminar, the potentiality of ArcGIS for this department, which deals with entomology, nematodic, wood packaging material, micology, virology problems in the plants and consequently in the food.
I've founded some case of study in entomology joined with GIS, as monitoring insects that damage the plant productions with pheromon traps, but for the other fields, as virology and micology, I didn't get anything on the web and in the bibliography that is possible to solve with GIS tecnology.
Do you know some research done using GIS to solve micology, nematodic, wood packaging material, virology problems in agricolture?
If I won't find any case of study in these fields, the chief of the plant health department won't approve the use of ArcGIS in the department, because she thinks that if GIS is only used for entomology, it is not convenient.
I am going to do this presentation/seminar the 20th of July, so I need as fast as possible an answer, please, help me!
Thank you
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
JohnBeck
New Contributor II
Giacomo,

I will forward your inquiry to some of our forestry and agriculture folks and see if there is somebody that can help you.

John
0 Kudos
Katie_Decker
Esri Contributor
Hello,
I am Giacomo Rossi, a GIS student that is doing an traineeship in the Ministry of Agricolture of Malta, exactly at the plant health department, and I am going to show, during a seminar, the potentiality of ArcGIS for this department, which deals with entomology, nematodic, wood packaging material, micology, virology problems in the plants and consequently in the food.
I've founded some case of study in entomology joined with GIS, as monitoring insects that damage the plant productions with pheromon traps, but for the other fields, as virology and micology, I didn't get anything on the web and in the bibliography that is possible to solve with GIS tecnology.
Do you know some research done using GIS to solve micology, nematodic, wood packaging material, virology problems in agricolture?
If I won't find any case of study in these fields, the chief of the plant health department won't approve the use of ArcGIS in the department, because she thinks that if GIS is only used for entomology, it is not convenient.
I am going to do this presentation/seminar the 20th of July, so I need as fast as possible an answer, please, help me!
Thank you

Please refer to the following links. Perhaps they will help you find examples of what you are specifically looking for:

Agriculture Case Studies:
http://www.esri.com/industries/agric...e_studies.html

Newsletter: Esri News for Agriculture:
http://www.esri.com/industries/agric...ewsletter.html

Esri Resource Center: Blogs, forums, videos, tools and more  http://resources.arcgis.com/search/?...&q=agriculture

Very Best,
Katie
0 Kudos