Involve a building-shapefile in a climate interpolation

11-14-2013 05:24 AM
MarioSaur
New Contributor
Hi, I currently create a climate map of a part of Tübingen/GER. For this I've measured the temperature, humidity, windspeed and winddirection at various points.
I have an orthophoto of Tübingen and a shapefile with the existing buildings. I inserted the measuring points in the map as a shapefile (ArcMap10) and typed in the measured values�??�?? (Attribute table).
When I now interpolate (Spatial Analyst -> kriging or IDW) it creates a nice map (see attachement). However, the interpolation does not consider the buildings (the buildings-shapefile).
How can i include this shapefile to the interpolation?
It is important because I want to interpolate the point data to various building situation and identify the differences. Especially the windspeeds and -directions are highly influenced by the buildings.
Thanks already for any help I! Cheers!
0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: xander_bakker

Hi      Mario,

The interpolation tools of ArcGIS will create a continuous surface. In IDW you can use barriers (polylines), but if you didn't specify those, the interpolation will also have values where the buildings are located. Did you try switching of the building layer in your table of content? A raster will normally appear below any vector layer, so that's why the building are displayed on top of the interpolated surface.

You can also change the symbology and use "No color" as fill color for the buildings to only display the footprint outline of the building.

Kind regards,

Xander
0 Kudos