Asign a value based on a calculation.

02-19-2024 12:27 PM
WFCAdmin
New Contributor II

I have built a fish data collection survey where I want to track fish observations in a photo table and in the point feature layer.

When field staff document a fish, the first thing they do is photograph the fish and select the corresponding species name from a list. They then fill out a lot of additional habitat information and take additional photos of the adjacent habitat.

The last page of the survey is redundant but important for our data organization strategy.

On the last page, staff scroll through a list of fish, and assign a document type "netted" "observed" or "other" to all documented fish species. 

Every fish that is netted will be photographed, and I would like to have the document type assigned to "netted" if that fish was selected when filling in the photo table.

So, for example, if you took a picture of a sculpin on the photo page of the survey, it would auto-fill sculpin with "netted" on the last page.

I have done this using the calculate column - if(${photo_fish_species} =’sculpin’,’netted’,’’) and it works great.

The problem is once I add a new photo, let's say a picture of the stream, the fish document type data on the last page gets cleared.

I am wondering if there is some way to address this.

Thank you!

Aaron

0 Kudos
1 Reply
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

It sounds like you are doing operations for a repeat outside of that repeat? That won't work. Also, calculations can't be fed back into a repeat from outside (the last active page of the repeat will perform the calculation, but then you need to manually scroll through the repeat to trigger new calculations).

Why not just have the "netted" "observed" or "other" selector inside your repeat?

0 Kudos