Can Geopoint question be set so that it only triggers at specific point within a survey?

Jump to solution
01-29-2024 12:15 PM
DfIRivers
Occasional Contributor

This question is a follow up to an earlier post here, where I use a 2nd geopoint question within a survey to compare the location of the asset being surveyed (geopoint populated by pulldata from CSV) with the tablet's GPS location.

I think what's happening is that inspectors are opening the survey prior to arriving on site, thus the 2nd geopoint is being calculated as soon as the survey is opened, which may occasionally be kilometers away from the asset location.

I do have a few questions that can only be answered whenever the inspector is actually on site..
 - one is photograph question
 - one is a text question (Y or N)
 - one is an integer question (values 0 to 10).

I've tried setting the 'relevant' parameter on the geopoint question based on the response to the text question.. and similarly for the integer question, but the behaviour isn't quite what I'm after.. The relevant parameter controls whether the geopoint question is displayed... but when it is displayed, I have to tap on the GPS location point to get it to get the coordinates.  In my live survey, I want this 2nd geopoint question to be hidden, so the user doesn't have to tap on the screen to get the geopoint to locate... Is this possible?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DfIRivers
Occasional Contributor

@abureaux I think I eventually figured it out.. your advice pointed me in the right direction..  the page at https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/geopoints.htm
and the section on 'Defaults' (see text below) provides me with the logic that I was after' and allows me to have the Geopoint question set as 'hidden'.

Geopoint questions that are switched from a non-relevant to a relevant state will not automatically update to the device's location. Set the default value as position to automatically get the current location identified by the device when the question is made relevant.

Thanks for your assistance!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

abureaux_0-1706563189359.png

DfIRivers
Occasional Contributor

press-to-locate isn't an appearance parameter in my survey... probably due to the original survey design pre-dating the inclusion of the press-to-locate option.  Is there a way to update the survey so that this parameter option is included?

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

What version is your Connect? If it is more recent, you can go to Tools > Update XLSForm template

abureaux_0-1706564163469.png

That will give you all the fancy new options!

If your Connect is out of date, I highly recommend you update that first. I would also recommend the Windows Store version of Connect since it auto-updates.

EDIT: to save you searching around, Connect is currently at 3.19.104

DfIRivers
Occasional Contributor

@abureaux I think I eventually figured it out.. your advice pointed me in the right direction..  the page at https://doc.arcgis.com/en/survey123/desktop/create-surveys/geopoints.htm
and the section on 'Defaults' (see text below) provides me with the logic that I was after' and allows me to have the Geopoint question set as 'hidden'.

Geopoint questions that are switched from a non-relevant to a relevant state will not automatically update to the device's location. Set the default value as position to automatically get the current location identified by the device when the question is made relevant.

Thanks for your assistance!!

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Glad you found a solution that works for you!

0 Kudos