Dependency Cycle - trying to have a calculation for a question reference itself from a previous repeat given certain logic

2 weeks ago
j-bromp
New Contributor III

Hi,

Background info: I am creating a survey for people to go out and test different materials at different locations. The user may need to conduct an unlimited number of tests so I have contained everything in a repeat. On the first repeat, i.e. position(..) = 1, the user is asked to input their location. The question is a text field and their response would be something like 'Road 1' or 'Stormwater Line'. Call this ${location_initial}

On the second repeat they are presented with a select_one question asking them if they have changed location. If they select 'Yes' then a new question appears asking them to input their new location, and if they select 'No' then the initial location is retained in a field in the background.

Calculation for background location field, called ${location_a}:

if ( position(..) = 1, ${location_initial}, if ( ${yesno_newlocation} = 'Yes', ${new_location}, ${location_previous}) )

The calculation for ${location_previous} is:

indexed-repeat(${location_a},${ndm_bs_repeater},${rp_num_bs}-1)

What these calculation's aim to do is check that if the user selects 'No' to being in a new location, then the location of the previous repeat is called in. It causes a dependency cycle though, I guess because I am referencing ${location_a} in the ${location_previous} calculation.

A short sighted way around this would be to change the calculation for ${location_previous} to:

indexed-repeat(${new_location},${ndm_bs_repeater},${rp_num_bs}-1)

The issue with this is that if a person tests at one location for the first repeat, then changes on the second but doesnt change for the third, fourth and fifth... the ${new_location} field doesn't have anthing to pull from after the third repeat because they kept answering 'No' to the 'Have you changed location' question.

Any help would be much appreciated! I have several fields to apply this logic to..... eek

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yea it cannot be done this way.  123 works with Names as the way to track fields.  So it has no idea that FieldA in repeat 1 is different from FieldA repeat 2.  I have been working on this for 6 years now with no luck.  Lots of posts out there if you want to look around.

Only way I kinda got to work was javascript.  But for me my repeat was too big.

This post here has links to the two options that I have found. 

https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-ideas/quot-same-as-last-quot-option-for-repeat-record...

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
j-bromp
New Contributor III

Thanks Doug, I'll give your function a go. Out of curiosity how big was your repeat? mine is about 70 lines in the xls form and it wouldn't be uncommon for it to be repeated 100 times in a single response.

0 Kudos
j-bromp
New Contributor III

Hi Doug,

I've tried: 

begin grouptestingtesting  
begin repeatndmndm  

textlocation_initiallocation initial  

textlocation_alocation a if ( ${rp_num} = 1, ${location_initial}, if ( ${yesno_newloc} = 'Yes', ${new_loc}, pulldata("@javascript", "functions.js","sameAsLast",${ndm},${rp_num},${location_a})))
textprev_locprevious location  

textnew_locnew location  

select_one yesno_newlocyesno_newlocyes no new location  
integerrp_numrepeat number position(..)

end repeat    
end group    

as well as:

begin grouptestingtesting  
begin repeatndmndm  

textlocation_initiallocation initial  

textlocation_alocation a if ( ${rp_num} = 1, ${location_initial}, if ( ${yesno_newloc} = 'Yes', ${new_loc}, ${prev_loc}))
textprev_locprevious location pulldata("@javascript", "functions.js","sameAsLast",${ndm},${rp_num},${location_a})

textnew_locnew location  

select_one yesno_newlocyesno_newlocyes no new location  
integerrp_numrepeat number position(..)

end repeat    
end group    

But getting a dependency cycle for both :(, is this the correct implementation of the script?

Script i invoked:

function sameAsLast(ndm, rp_num, location_a) {

if (position > 1){

return ndm[rp_num - 2][location_a];

}

}

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think the way you have it loc_a has an if to prev_loc and that calls loc_a so that is the loop I think.

First test just having it show you the value without the calc in loc_a and see if that works.  Then go from there.

It has been years since I used the code.

0 Kudos