'Field too short' error even after republishing survey

Jump to solution
01-19-2024 11:38 AM
Trippetoe
Occasional Contributor III

I have a pre-existing survey that I've been using Survey Connect (v3.17.55) for updating . When i attempted to 'Publish' the survey with the update, I got an error message that one field length is too short (see attached screen shot). Because its a dev version of the survey, I opted to republish the survey. This resulted in creation of a new AGOL feature service to support the survey. The very next time I Published the survey, i got the same error message. Again i opted to republish. Again, the next time i tried to publish, i got the same error message. I seem stuck in some dark magic circle.

Can you help me get out of that circle?

Trippetoe_0-1705692943036.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is this maybe a select one field and one of your options is more than 10 characters?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Is this maybe a select one field and one of your options is more than 10 characters?

0 Kudos
Trippetoe

i think you are on to something.  Yes, the question is a select_one. I am using the 'search()' functionality to populate the field based on input from a previous question. And the 'search' column name used that gets set in the choices worksheet is longer than 10 characters. 

I'm gonna try shortening that to see what happens.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Or can you just increase it to like 255?

Trippetoe

Hey @DougBrowning 

Thank you for your suggestions. When i shortened the field name that is referenced in the choices worksheet, i was able to republish the survey without that error.

That approach seems much more simple that expanding the field size in the feature service. we've got many years of data in the service and i don't want to recreate/republish all of that.

It seems like maybe the Esri team chould rethink either how the search() functionality is setup/configured within the xls form or reconsider the form validation process when search() is being used. It's reasonable that the length of a field name could be longer than the values going into the field. Or maybe its just me 😉

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There are a few hacks to change the field length without a republish.  If it keeps being an issue it can be done.