Form hangs when trying to send any variable in the URL link

a month ago
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Super weird one here.  I have two forms that are the same in different projects.  One works great but the other hangs when opened from a launch link.  It works just fine if opening in the app directly.

I traced the issue down to the launch URL.  

If I use a simple link with no fields like this the form opens fine.

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=95e0007beac5487ab64397538a4964f3

If I add any field at all to the URL like this then the form hangs.  Does not matter which field.

arcgis-survey123://?itemID=95e0007beac5487ab64397538a4964f3&field:PointID={PointID}

Again an exact replica of this form and map work just fine.  Form and map have been working fine for years.

Log file has almost nothing in it.  Stops on the line Application state changed: 0  Line above that is Application state changed: 2

All data and everything looks good.  The other 11 forms in the map work fine.  I am totally stumped.

Anyone ever seen this before?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Assuming that other forms with the same setup are working, we can rule out things tied to the environment or general constructs. This suggests it's something tied to this specific form, URL construction or device.

I've only seen this behaviour when the URL is invalid and Survey123 doesn't know what to do with it. It suggests that maybe a value you're trying to pass needs to be encoded.  

Other times, when a field parameter has been missing or incorrect, Survey123 doesn't care and will open the survey anyway.

How are you constructing the URL? Do you get the same behaviour when manually constructing it in the browser URL (instead of from a pop-up expression)? Is the data getting passed into a standard field, or is it got advanced settings tied to it? Is the URL encoded?

I assume you know your stuff when it comes to Survey123 so if the URL itself and value are fine (and encoded). So if the above is fine can you share more info:

• What version is the Survey123 field app?
  • What version is the Survey123 form (from Connect at time of publish, visible on S123 website)
  • Does this occur on new devices? 
  • What operating systems and versions are you seeing it on?
  • Can you provide the XLSForm?
  • Do you have the latest version of the survey form downloaded on the device?
  • Anything in the Survey123 form settings or target view settings?
  • Does the signed in user have access to the form and target service
  • Is the form in its original folder and name

0 Kudos