Group showing up on every page even though appearance is not set to field-list

02-27-2024 01:56 PM
SarahKendell
New Contributor III

I am creating a survey and having issues with a group showing up on every page instead of only on the second page. It is my understanding that a group will only create a "page break" if the appearance is set to field-list. What am I doing wrong here? The below screenshot of the phone view is how I'd like it to appear, however the Sapling group is also showing up on page 1 currently. 

SarahKendell_0-1709070470120.png

SarahKendell_1-1709070662496.png

0 Kudos
5 Replies
TylerGraham2
Occasional Contributor

It looks like your sapling group's appearance is "compact" rather than "field-list."  That might explain why it is showing up on the first page.  Annotation 2024-02-27 150304.png

0 Kudos
SarahKendell
New Contributor III

If I set it to field-list, then it appears on a new page in the survey 

0 Kudos
TylerGraham2
Occasional Contributor

Ok, I think I misunderstood. You're trying to get Saplings to appear on the 2nd page with the Seedling Count group then?  If that's the case, the problem is the Sapling group is not nested in any of the groups you have the field-list appearance on which will cause it to be locked to a page.  Move the Seedling Count end group line below the Sapling end group line and that will keep it on the same page as the Seedling Count group.

Annotation 2024-02-28 095344.png

SarahKendell
New Contributor III

Okay, I've made that update and it now only displaying on page 2 as I would like. However, now it isn't formatting to the grid correctly? It is only occupying half the screen when I have it set to be the whole. Thanks for your help on this!

SarahKendell_0-1709234954626.png

0 Kudos
TylerGraham2
Occasional Contributor

You have to assign a span width to tell the nested group how many columns of the parent group it needs to cross.  In the appearance column for a nested group/repeat when you assign it a value of say w3 you're telling it to be 3 columns wide, you're not telling it how many columns of the parent group to span. It will force those 3 columns into 1 column of the parent group.

To set the span you add a colon and number of columns in the parent group you want it to span. Continuing with our example, lets say the parent group has 4 columns (w4).  If you want the nested group with 3 columns to span all 4 of the parent group columns you would format the appearance of the nested group as w3:4.  If you wanted it to span 2 columns of the parent group you would put in w3:2

Your Seedling Count group is w3 and your Sapling group is also w3. So to span the entire Seedling Count group, you would set your Sapling group's appearance to w3:3.