Laptop Cameras

08-17-2017 11:51 AM
BrandonAdcock1
New Contributor II

Okay, I don't know if this is exactly the place to ask, but I haven't been able to find anything with some pretty extensive Internet searching, so here goes.

I am using Survey123 to collect data on sampling locations and each one needs photographed.  The laptop/tablets we have (HP Revolve) only have a forward facing camera (one above the screen).  Unless the user takes a "selfie" so to speak with the sampling location, the forward facing camera is not practical. (I know, should have though of this when we got them, but we have them now, so are stuck with what we have).

I am hoping to find a completely wireless camera that we can use with the form.  Essentially, the computer would use this wireless camera instead of the internal camera to capture the image for the form.  So far, I have been able to find wirelessly connecting cameras that plug into the wall (not practical for field work) or cameras that connect through USB (not really going to work to wrangle a wire while we are collecting the data in tight spaces).

Has anyone else ran into this and come up with a better idea besides taking a picture over your shoulder?  I would like to find an easy, relatively inexpensive solution.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Brandon,

Unfortunately there are not many fully wireless cameras or webcams out there that connect via Bluetooth, most of them have a power source cable or usb cable and/or stream the content over Wifi. I think a USB webcam would be your best option in is this situation. The only handheld Wifi one I know of is Broadcaster Wi-Fi Webcam - Logitech Support, although I assume you will not have Wifi in the field, therefore this one wouldn't work, so really need to find a Bluetooth Handheld camera or use a USB camera that suits.

Regards,

Phil.

0 Kudos
BrandonAdcock1
New Contributor II

Thank you, Phillip.  We actually have WiFi hotspot ability through our field cell phones, so I would be curious if this item would work with that.  Thanks for the tip.

Either way, I guess it's good to know it really doesn't exist and not that I just can't find it. 🙂

0 Kudos