No permission to edit specified feature.

07-11-2023 07:09 AM
JayHodny
Occasional Contributor III

Hello.  We have had great success embedding Survey123 forms (built using Connect) in our Dashboards.  This allows us to add new survey records and edit submitted ones directly in the embedded survey, and see the results in the dashboard web map and associated elements.  Following this model, we built a dashboard to review and validate lead service line survey submissions as part of our service line inventory.  We began noticing the error in the screenshot below.  This error occurs when we attempt to edit an existing survey record in the dashboard as the first thing we do.  If we then open the Survey123 web app, refresh the dashboard browser window, we can then submit the record successfully in the dashboard environment.  Completing the survey form in a separate browser window successfully submits the survey record.  Hosting is on ArcGIS Online, and we have re-checked the various editing permission settings.  While we have a work around, we would like to resolve this issue and understand its cause.  Many thanks in advance. Regards, Jay

JayHodny_0-1689083988888.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Usually updating the existing features requires supplying the globalId, but it's null in your screenshot.

Try including &globalId={gloablid} in the URL?

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
JayHodny

Hi Josh,

Yes, we see the null comment in the error.  The tail end of our URL has:

JayHodny_0-1689085741431.png

I thought changing the letter case in the {globalid} to {globalId}, but this did not work.  Puzzling.

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you copy the text from the URL and put it into the embed's description, in order to visually confirm the URL that it's navigating to? It ought to be sending the globalid, but would like to confirm.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JayHodny

Hi Josh,  Thanks for the great troubleshooting tip.  Added the URL to the embed's Description.  Selecting different records shows the unique globalids.  Puzzling.

JayHodny_1-1689086968863.png

0 Kudos
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Puzzling, indeed!

How old is the survey? Once upon a time, it was possible to edit existing features w/o a globalid, but later updates to Survey123 changed that. Is it possible that the form was published at an older version and hasn't updated? There should be a setting in S123 to have it use the latest version of the platform.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JayHodny

Survey is fairly new.  I checked the version and version date in the XLS form, 3.17, February 21, 2023. This survey was part of Esri's lead line service inventory solution we deployed.  We made some change to the survey (XLSForm in Connect), went to republish and it failed.  Very frustrating!  We copied and modified the survey and successfully published it eventually.  I recall running the Update XLSForm template tool prior to the republish. Then running the Analyze survey tool revealed no critical errors.  There were some warning and information messages, but they are minor and do not prevent the survey from working.

0 Kudos
JayHodny

Josh, in checking the results of the Analyze survey tool run, there was a message that the XLSForm was outdated.  I updated the form using the tool, but this did not resolve the issue, same error persists.  Uggghhh!

0 Kudos
JayHodny

I worked through and resolved all of the Critical, Warning and Information issues revealed by the 'Analyze survey' tool.  Counts are all zero.  Same error persists.

JessMiller1
New Contributor II

Hello, I'm late to the party! I'm having this exact same issue, did you ever get a resolve?

0 Kudos