Opening mobile surveys from pop-ups causing unpacking loop

03-25-2024 08:14 AM
leahmaps
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Everyone,

I have been having this issue for a few weeks now while I have been testing a new survey, and I am not sure what to do to fix it.

In my pop-up, I have two links. One opens the survey in the browser, the other on mobile (as this survey is so big, opening it in an iPad browser doesn't work well). Whenever I try to click the link that would open the survey in the (iPad) Survey123 app, it causes a loop between downloading and unpacking the survey. 

Does anyone have a solution to this? I found a similar posting here, but this survey is private to the organization, and this post is from a few years ago. Nothing seems to solve the problem..

I attached a video, caution watching if you are sensitive to flashing.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I've had this happen before. What does your URL look like? I am thinking the URL is somehow malformed.

I actually made this intentionally happen before because I was (and still am) super frustrated that launching via URL doesn't automatically check for updates. My hope was that by adding a parameter to the URL I could get that check to occur. Technically it did work since it downloaded the form each time the link was clicked. The issue was I ended up in an endless loop exactly as you have shown there.

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Do you have an ENH/Idea for the URL scheme not enforcing survey updates?

I had one for CSVs not refreshing but we need this to enforce survey updates as well.

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I do: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-ideas/survey-checks-for-updates-when-loaded-from-web/...

(I also mention CSVs in the post. That is another pain point... I get at least two requests per week that a user's CSV is out of date and they don't know what to do...)

RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

The fact you have 2 ideas (by accident) on this same topic and they've only got sub 5 votes is absolutely wild to me, this should be taken with so much more urgency I think.

I get that request weekly as well from staff it's brutal.

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

The feedback loops between field staff, GIS and Esri can be a bit disconnected. I'm a big advocate of users reaching out to support to add a case and their account to Enhancements and Bugs, as well as creating well articulated ideas. They might genuinely not appreciate how much of an issue it is until we push it.

leahmaps

So, I have two surveys (the initial and an update survey) that don't open in the app, but the URL is the same for both, other than the survey ID (x'ing out a few parts of the URL):

https://survey123.arcgis.app/?itemID=exxxccxxxe344548897736ff73029495?mode=edit&globalId=de63aef4-xx...

I got the URL to open the app from the Survey123 website. What do you think could be weird with this URL?

0 Kudos
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Try "&" instead of "?":
abureaux_0-1711468489333.png

Also, looks like you have an extra "/" right after "app". Should be "app?":
abureaux_1-1711468531189.png

0 Kudos
leahmaps

Yes! the &mode=edit worked to open the survey without any loading, but now is not grabbing the referenced global ID. Now, it opens a new survey instead of relating to the record the popup is from.

The interesting thing is, I don't know where the additional "/" is coming from. I have this running in arcade to calculate the URL, and there is not an extra / 

leahmaps_0-1711470229896.png

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

My links have that / in them as well and it doesn't seem to cause any issues.

The way I use the globalID though is &filter=globalid:{globalid} and it seems to work for me, try adding the filter=?

0 Kudos