Selecting points on a map for a survey

09-15-2023 10:28 AM
doronwen
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have an existing survey123 form that I'm looking to improve for the next collection. Here is the scenario:

I have 600 pre-determined survey points in 5 different regions of the state. Each region sends a crew to collect the survey for their region. In the survey form, each crew selects from a drop-down menu their region, the unique survey ID and answer all the questions for that point. They repeat that process for each survey point in their region.

This is what I want to add to my survey:

I'd like to plot all the survey points on a map. The surveyors will select their region from a filter and that will update the map to show only the survey points for their region. Next, they will drive and find the first survey point on the map, click that point, that will open the survey question and they will fill-out the survey for that point. Once they submit the survey, they will find the next point on the map and drive to the next survey point. 

Currently, the surveyor drive around and look for the survey points on a google map. Once they arrive to the location, they fill out the survey and submit it. 

The survey points are pre-determined and are on on a hosted feature layer (edit enabled).

I'm looking for documentation or maybe a video tutorial that will show me how to do all that. I know that this might be possible in ArcGIS Field Maps, but I like the Survey123 functionality and options. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We do this by combining them.  Use Field Maps for all the navigation then launch 123 using a URL to send over any info needed. On sync all the 123 data can then also be seen in Field Maps. Works slick.  123 has no real way to go offline with maps.

But really if there are just a few questions the new Field Maps forms should at least be tested.  Esp with the new built in Filters.

Field Maps is good at maps, 123 is good at forms.

Hope that helps

0 Kudos
doronwen
New Contributor II

Hi Doug. 

Thanks for replying.  My survey is long and contain several constraints and choices. 

If I understand you correctly you are suggestion the following: users will open Field Maps, navigate to a point, click on it, and that will open a URL that will open Survey123 form. They will fill-out the survey, submit it, and close the app. Back in Field Maps, they will proceed to the next survey point. 

Is that what you're suggesting? If so, do you know of any tutorials that can walk me through that process?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
doronwen
New Contributor II

@DougBrowning I also came across this Esri video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tq_0O7Kx-o

In there, they talk about creating a web map with your data (in my case the survey points) and enabling the Inbox option. When you do that, users can chose the points from a map of a list. That could be a possible solution.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you will be online yes but it may work for you offline this does not work I think but not sure.

0 Kudos