Survey 123 Field App issue with unprompted scrolling / jumping to another part of the form; 3.19.120 (feb 29 update)

Jump to solution
03-03-2024 08:19 AM
WetherbeeDorshow
New Contributor III

We recently (Feb 29) started having issues with the Survey 123 Field App on Windows 10 (3.19.120) with a specific form that was working fine previously. We tested this on multiple computers with the same result. Once an image question in the form is populated (e.g. a signature), when a user clicks on any text question (multiline or no appearance setting), the form will scroll/jump to a different part of the form. With each jump, the cursor remains in the question clicked, but the view of the form resets to show the section of the form with the populated image/signature question. This requires the user to scroll back up to the clicked question to populate the question. This behavior does not occur when the signature question is left blank. The same issue does not occur with the latest version of the field app on android or ipad. 

I also tested this on a version of the same form without the grid theme, and the problem persists.

Problem also occurs on iOS field app as well after the Feb 29 update (3.19.120).

Tags (3)
21 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the update @ZacharySutherby. Every few updates there's a defect that just leaves Survey123 dead in the water and this is one of them. The only saving grace is the typically quick fix time and open communications from the S123 team 

We've got an increasing number of users just unable to do fieldwork and it's completely eroding trust in the solutions we've setup for them.

RobBlash
Occasional Contributor III

100% agree with this statement. I'm glad to see all of the progress that has been made with Survey123 in the last few years, and I know that the increased complexity makes bugs more likely. However, the impact of these bugs is also increased since we've increased adoption across many of our field workflows. When folks in the field have been burned by a bug its pretty hard to regain their trust. This is especially true for the folks that resist the shift to a non-paper solution in the first place.

I suppose this is a lesson learned that we need to pay more attention to the betas, but the struggle to find extra time for this is real. I hope Esri will also step up to increase their internal testing.

ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello all, 

We are planning to release a fix to address this issue on March 19th, we will update this Esri Community post when the release has gone live. 

Thank you,
Zach
0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

@ZacharySutherby thanks for the update but that's over two weeks where our surveys are completely non-functional. 

The photos have to be taken as the user progresses through the form, e.g. they are transiting across infrastructure, or taking before/after photos in the one survey form.

With @RobBlash's comments - I'd be more understanding if this was newer tech or just out of beta but it's just an image question. I don't know how much clearer I can be that it's extremely disappointing to see a new release break standard functionality and take over two weeks to fix. It feels like the issue is being neglected as it's not all survey users, or possibly the timing with the developer summit being on. 

@IsmaelChivite 

WesleyWilliams
New Contributor

Anything we can do to expedite this?? For many of us this is a crippling issue for a bug that you have already identified. 

0 Kudos
RobBlash

Another vote for expediting, this is a major bug.

0 Kudos
ZacharySutherby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello all, 

We received early clearance from our certification team late Friday evening. At that time the version with the fix applied was pushed to the app stores and is now available. The version with the fix is 3.19.121 and is available on Apple, Google, and Microsoft store.  

Thank you,
Zach
RobBlash

Awesome, thanks for the update. I just tested on Android (Pixel 7 pro) and it seems to be resolved. I will test on iOS tomorrow.

0 Kudos
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Zach, I went to download the executable from ArcGIS Survey123 Downloads (esri.com) and noticed it's still giving me version 3.19.120 instead of the new version number you mention.

0 Kudos
RobBlash

Esri indicated to me in an email that the downloads from the website will not be updated until Tuesday, but I am seeing the updates in Google Play store and iOS App Store.