Survey won't submit when form is left open for around 30 minutes

Jump to solution
01-04-2024 12:02 PM
DfIRivers
Occasional Contributor

I have a survey that has 2 mandatory date/time fields.

The 1st date/time field records when the inspector arrives on site and is calculated using the Now() function, when the survey is opened.

To get the value for the 2nd date/time, (which is when the inspector leaves site), the users enters a value for the number of minutes on site, and then a calculation is applied to add the value in the 1st date/time field and the number of minutes on site.

The number of minutes and the calculation has been deployed to make it easier for the inspector to complete the inspection... i.e. less typing.

The survey also includes before and after photos, corresponding to the 1st and 2nd date/time questions.

For the most part the survey works fine, but our users are saying that if they've been on site for say 30-45 minutes, then when they fill in the value for number of minutes on site, then 2nd date/time field won't compute.. and since this is a mandatory field then the inspection cannot be submitted.

I guess we could amend the survey to..

- allow the photos to be selected from the photos on the device
 - make the 2nd date/time default to Now() and subtract the number of minutes to get the 1st date/time

but preference would be to take the photos live, rather than browse the device.

Is there any reason why a survey that has been left 'open' for a while would fail to compute the 2nd date/time?

Or would you have any other suggestions as to how to resolve?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Also confirming that I have left my Field App open for extended periods without issue. Extended periods being anywhere from hours to days. I have left several forms open on my phone for 3-4 days before sending on several occasions in the past (tests for field staff).

Are they getting any errors? Apple or Android devices? Field App or Web App?

Is your Connect up to date? If they are using mobile devices, I assume the Field App is up to date by default as updates should be handled via app store.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I wonder if now() is recalcing on you.  Try once(now())

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

We have forms open for hours with no issue.  Something else may be up.  Are you sure they are not saving as draft and coming back?  Are they flipping to other apps at all?  I know Android for one can shut down not focus apps after some time, esp if a lot of things are open.

Can you post the date line calc here maybe something up with the formula.

Also when we had a counter like this we had the other issue of them opening up from draft or sent later to look it over and it messed the time minutes on site all up giving huge numbers.  Got to the point we just removed it.

0 Kudos
DfIRivers
Occasional Contributor

Hi Doug,

Calculation is as follows:

${inspectiondatetime1} + (1000 * 60 * ${lengthtimeonsite})

See attached JPG file below for screenshot of XLSForm

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I wonder if now() is recalcing on you.  Try once(now())

0 Kudos
DfIRivers
Occasional Contributor

I've applied this suggestion.. time will tell if it fixes the issue.

abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

Also confirming that I have left my Field App open for extended periods without issue. Extended periods being anywhere from hours to days. I have left several forms open on my phone for 3-4 days before sending on several occasions in the past (tests for field staff).

Are they getting any errors? Apple or Android devices? Field App or Web App?

Is your Connect up to date? If they are using mobile devices, I assume the Field App is up to date by default as updates should be handled via app store.

0 Kudos
DfIRivers
Occasional Contributor

Users are on Android devices..

I've used  more recent version of S123Connect and advised users to update the Field app as well.  Hopefully this might resolve the problem.

0 Kudos