Survey123 Create report missing token and managing connections in Power Automate

Jump to solution
01-12-2024 04:45 AM
erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi - 

I use Power Automate for a fair bit of automation with Survey123/ArcGIS Online and I am a bit frustrated with the "Create report" action. I've received a message that the flow failed and it seems the ultimate culprit is happening within the "Create report" step of my flow as I receive "Missing parameters required: \"token\"".

Under my Connections options in Power Automate, I can see my Survey123 Connection shows a status of Connected, however the "Create report" action is still failing on credentials. I know that if I edit the flow, I can go to the "Create report" step, click the ... option in the top corner and select +Add new connection, however I also know that will create a new/second Survey123 connection under my list of Connections ,which I really do not want as it becomes a total nightmare to manage connections when you have many of them for the same thing. 

Are there any viable workarounds or strategies for this issue? Are there plans to improve the "Create report" action so that it is actually a viable and reliable tool (which IMO it very much is currently not)? 

My organization uses ArcGIS Online, so increasing token life doesn't seem to be an option (I can't find it under Organizational settings).

Thank you,

Erica
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

As of right now, the token for reports times out every 14 days much like the ArcGIS Online one did previously. We never noticed it before with the Survey123 one because the submission when triggering a flow contained the token.

The solution would be every 14 days to refresh the connection, which can be done by going to Connections, hitting the 3 dots next to the Survey123 connection, and hitting Switch account and then just signing back in with the same credentials. No need to create a new connection each time.

RobertAnderson3_0-1705065584647.png

This is mentioned on the video from the live session found here:
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-videos/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-live-automate/m-...

I believe they are working on extending this, much like they had to for the ArcGIS Online one previously, though I haven't heard of any updates yet.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

As of right now, the token for reports times out every 14 days much like the ArcGIS Online one did previously. We never noticed it before with the Survey123 one because the submission when triggering a flow contained the token.

The solution would be every 14 days to refresh the connection, which can be done by going to Connections, hitting the 3 dots next to the Survey123 connection, and hitting Switch account and then just signing back in with the same credentials. No need to create a new connection each time.

RobertAnderson3_0-1705065584647.png

This is mentioned on the video from the live session found here:
https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-survey123-videos/survey123-tricks-of-the-trade-live-automate/m-...

I believe they are working on extending this, much like they had to for the ArcGIS Online one previously, though I haven't heard of any updates yet.

erica_poisson
Occasional Contributor III

@RobertAnderson3  -

Thank you! I'd noticed that Switch Account option, however I wasn't sure exactly what that did or how that would impact my flows. 

I just did this, re-ran the failed flow and it worked. Thank you so much! I saw that video, but never watched it and didn't come across this in any of the other posts I read. It sounds like as long as I do this every 14 days I will be OK. 

It would be so fantastic if the token life could be fixed. 

Erica
RobertAnderson3
MVP Regular Contributor

No problem!

It's definitely something that I've felt needs to be more clearly documented as a limitation to this process. Yeah I have a reminder set for every 13 days to make sure I get it on time haha. I have some hope as we just saw them increase it with the ArcGIS connector a few months ago right? So here's hoping it's soon!