Survey123 feature service in ArcGIS Pro compatibility question

Jump to solution
11-18-2016 03:34 AM
AnneleyMcMillan2
New Contributor II

Hi there, I currently have a Survey123 form published as a hosted feature service. I would like to be able to potentially edit / digitize more features into the feature service in ArcGIS Pro. Currently I'm finding that it is not honouring the domains and subtypes if I just drag the feature service from AGOL into Pro and try to edit. If I copy features to a local GDB then the domains come across, but the subtype relationships (specific dropdowns for specific answers) don't pick up. Is there a tool / script set up that will help with this? A second question is if I then need to push new features back into the service from the local geodatabase is there also a script that will help with this? Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Anneley, 

Ah I see! I assume cascades are controlled by XLSForms functionality that only the Survey123 app can read and Pro cannot.

A workaround might be to:

• download the feature service as a file gdb
  • manually configure the necessary subtypes and domains to match how it works in Survey123
  • add the new survey points to the feature class in this file gdb
  • add the Survey123 feature service to ArcGIS Pro
  • Open the Edit tab
  • Select all the local points that you want to add to the Online feature service and use the copy & paste functionality: Copy and paste using the clipboard—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Carmel

View solution in original post

5 Replies
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Anneley, 

I've just brought in one of my Survey123 layers into ArcGIS Pro and the drop downs appear for me in the Attributes pane when editing. Do the drop downs appear for you if you attempt to edit the feature service in an ArcGIS Online map viewer?

Carmel

AnneleyMcMillan2
New Contributor II

Hi there, 

Yes you're right - the standard domain dropdowns do work through the editing attribute pane from the feature service (but not if you just open the attribute table from the contents). What is not working however is that we have cascading 'choices' built into our survey from the choices pane. Essentially if a certain category is picked from one question (a category field), the next question would only show a subset of options related to that picked category (a subcategory field). It is these cascading choice options / dropdowns that are not passing through into Pro. I'm not sure how they are encoded through Survey123. I originally thought they must be subtypes, but now I don't think they are because they're text fields and you can have more than one question with tailored content based on the previous field's choice. 

0 Kudos
CarmelConnolly
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Anneley, 

Ah I see! I assume cascades are controlled by XLSForms functionality that only the Survey123 app can read and Pro cannot.

A workaround might be to:

• download the feature service as a file gdb
  • manually configure the necessary subtypes and domains to match how it works in Survey123
  • add the new survey points to the feature class in this file gdb
  • add the Survey123 feature service to ArcGIS Pro
  • Open the Edit tab
  • Select all the local points that you want to add to the Online feature service and use the copy & paste functionality: Copy and paste using the clipboard—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Carmel

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Carmel is correct- cascading selects are an in-program filtering and aren't represented via subtypes in the Feature Service (that would limit some of the complexity that can be done with cascades).

AnneleyMcMillan2
New Contributor II

Hi James, Carmel, Thanks for your responses, that's useful to know. 

What might be a useful feature enhancement (at least for me) would be to have the option of converting some of the choices into a domain / subtype in the feature service. I understand you can't convert all of the relationships because as you say the complexity is not supported by the feature service.

Just for completeness I'll provide an example of the type of thing I'd like to do. Say you had a domained field in survey123 that asked you to choose a fruit. You pick apple. The next question asks what variety of fruit it is. Because you selected apple in the previous field it restricted the responses to varieties of apple. If you'd picked pear it would have restricted responses to varieties of pear. Currently if you publish this as a feature service, all of the drop down choices on varieties of apple or pear do not make it through as a domain (even if it were to list everything - both apples and pears). This means that if you needed to edit or create features in that feature service in any other app (geoform, arcmap, pro etc.), there would be no dropdown suggestions for variety so the user would be free to enter anything they wanted. If instead you had the option of taking the choices and mapping them to a domain, it would save time adapting in arcmap / pro, and mean that the user can still only pick from a list. This would in turn mean that somewhat higher quality data is recorded (no typos etc.) although they still might be able to put a pear variety under an apple choice (subtypes would help here).

Your suggestion should work - I can copy the feature service into a gdb in the template, and then have the users copy and paste local points into the service - There would then be a QA stage to check that there are no duplicates from points coming in from survey123. The only potential issue I can think of is that it then creates a requirement to update the gdb any time the original schema changes.

Having done a little more searching, this thread also seems related: Sample Form With Multiple Feature Templates And Subtypes. · Issue #96 · Esri/Survey123Community · Gi...  It helps me understand the pros / cons with using subtypes etc. in survey123 when they were designing it. There's a couple of things to try with adapting the feature service after its been published that I can also give a go - it's close to your workaround Carmel, but it looks like I can re-connect the adapted feature service back to survey123. I suppose this may also have the issue of having to republish if the schema changes.

...Unless you have any other suggestions? I realise it's probably not a very common use case that people might have more than one preferred way of entering into the same schema if survey123 does it so well, but there are potentially reasons for doing so, and I'm just trying to find the easiest way to set up a workflow that other users can follow. 

Thanks again.

0 Kudos