Unable to edit survey entries (non-hosted feature layer)

Jump to solution
11-09-2023 01:19 PM
ShelbyZelonisRoberson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi. I'm going a bit crazy.

I have a series of surveys that are all published off of the same NON-hosted feature service, which lives in my SQL Server Enterprise Geodatabase. Enterprise version is 10.9.1.

Each survey is embedded in a dashboard where a Portal user can go and update a record based on the globalid URL parameter. This worked fine in all my testing with both my username and a Survey123 Admin user that owns the survey. I'm able to update the records and I see them update in the feature service. 

However, now that I'm testing it with my portal members who will be the ones updating the records, they are getting the error:  Editing is not possible because the record specified by the globalId parameter cannot be accessed.

The feature service is editable, the Portal members are Field Workers with edit capability. The dashboard is set up correctly to use the globalid of the survey. I don't understand why it's not working. It has to be a permissions error? My googling led me to believe I need to allow submitters to update records, but because this is a non-hosted feature service I'm getting an error that I can't.

Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks!

ShelbyZelonisRoberson_1-1699564712508.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ShelbyZelonisRoberson

I'm going to post my "solution" for anyone interested, which really isn't a solution but it's what I had to do. Hopefully the Survey123 team sees this and can investigate for future releases:

After being 100% certain that the feature service and survey were share correctly, I decided that something wonky happened in Survey123 that I wasn't going to be able to fix. For some reason, even though my feature service was editable by users in my organization, Survey123 was set to allow submitters to "Only add new records" instead of "Add, update, and delete records". This setting was greyed out in the Survey123 website because it is a non-hosted feature service, and Survey123 would not allow me to change it. 

I deleted the survey completely and created a new one from scratch. This time, the setting was correctly set to "Add, update, and delete records". Now all users can edit all survey records.

I made no changes to the feature service after initial publishing, so I don't understand why this happened. My organization is fully invested in Survey123 for our form solutions (even non-GIS), and it makes me very uneasy with all the random issues like this that I encounter. I can't keep having to delete and re-create surveys to get them to work.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you turn on update parameter when publishing?  You can check at the bottom of the rest service page.  Just a guess.

0 Kudos
ShelbyZelonisRoberson

Yep, all of these are enabled: Query,Create,Update,Delete,Uploads,Editing. It also Supports ApplyEdits With Global Ids, which I saw was an issue for some people.

ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Can you confirm you have shared both the survey and the service the survey is targeting with the workers?

Do you have editor based access enabled? Where users can only edit their own features?

Does this happen with other surveys? Could be specific to the form; it's possible that XLSForm design issues don't manifest for the survey owner. e.g. when you've moved the form outside of the folder has caused issues for end users.

0 Kudos
ShelbyZelonisRoberson

Yep. Service is shared with the organization. Users can edit any features -- in fact, they CAN edit the data in the item details page, just not when the data is in a survey. 

0 Kudos
ShelbyZelonisRoberson

I'm going to post my "solution" for anyone interested, which really isn't a solution but it's what I had to do. Hopefully the Survey123 team sees this and can investigate for future releases:

After being 100% certain that the feature service and survey were share correctly, I decided that something wonky happened in Survey123 that I wasn't going to be able to fix. For some reason, even though my feature service was editable by users in my organization, Survey123 was set to allow submitters to "Only add new records" instead of "Add, update, and delete records". This setting was greyed out in the Survey123 website because it is a non-hosted feature service, and Survey123 would not allow me to change it. 

I deleted the survey completely and created a new one from scratch. This time, the setting was correctly set to "Add, update, and delete records". Now all users can edit all survey records.

I made no changes to the feature service after initial publishing, so I don't understand why this happened. My organization is fully invested in Survey123 for our form solutions (even non-GIS), and it makes me very uneasy with all the random issues like this that I encounter. I can't keep having to delete and re-create surveys to get them to work.

IsmaelChivite
Esri Notable Contributor

@ShelbyZelonisRoberson  Would you mind emailing survey123@esri.com so we can setup a quick call to review your workflow? Please reference this thread in the email. Thanks!

0 Kudos
ahargreaves_FW

@IsmaelChivite

I also had the same issue as @ShelbyZelonisRoberson but see it's related to how I configure my feature service when publishing from pro.

ahargreaves_FW_2-1701888622456.png

Weirdly though, despite not allowing a user to delete I still get the trash can icon in my survey for relates/related table records. Hitting delete (and confirming) doesn't actually delete a record though. So how do I remove the trash can icon?

ahargreaves_FW_1-1701888504145.png

Also is it possible to customize this error message as described here

JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi @ahargreaves_FW ,

The UI of Survey123 allows a user to delete a repeat in the same session it is created (i.e., before submission); that is what the trash can icon is for.  It does not allow for the deletion of repeats that have already been submitted (i.e., during an editing process).

ahargreaves_FW

Much appreciated @JamesTedrick ...

0 Kudos