What is the best practice for publishing a survey to more than one portal from Connect?

Jump to solution
04-11-2024 03:04 PM
RyanBohan
Occasional Contributor III

What is the best practice for publishing a survey to multiple portals from Connect?

We are working on making better use of our QA/DEV portal environments for testing, and only publishing a Survey to ArcGIS Online or our Enterprise Portal once its ready to go into production.

I am not sure the best practice for doing this within connect.  Would it be better to make the survey and publish to QA/DEV, and make a copy (save as) of the survey within connect when it's ready to go into production? Or can the publishing location be easily changed with Manage Portals in Pro?

• It seems like there is something in the source files for the survey that tags the survey as already published, even though the publishing location has been changed.

Have two surveys within connect does seem easier, if there are any future modifications, as they can be applied and published to our test environment first then transferred to the Production survey.  With the caveat of getting to make any changes twice.

RyanBohan_0-1712872545796.png

Thank you Esri community!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I go with two separate files. One for Production, and one for testing server.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
abureaux
MVP Regular Contributor

I go with two separate files. One for Production, and one for testing server.

RejeanLabbe
New Contributor III

If there is something very specific that needs to be different between your environments, you will need two separate files. However, I usually use only one file.

I always test my survey in a TEST/QA/DEV environment first. Once everything is working correctly, I switch my active connection to the PROD environment and publish my survey.

RyanBohan
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you everyone for the advice.  I am going with two surveys.  Making a copy of the dev survey once's it's been fully approved for production. 

This also allows a copy of the dev survey to be ready, if any additional survey enhancements are required after deploying to Production.

0 Kudos