ArcMap Pro Red Exclamation Points

08-11-2023 03:35 PM
GIS412
by
New Contributor III

Hello. I'm new to ESRI products and have a question about the red exclamation points. These occur on layers and gps points.

I've done a cursory search on Google and YT. I'm finding that these occur when there is a problem connecting with the data source. I understand how to repair this. What I don't understand is why this keeps on happening, after I've repaired the connection. Can someone explain to me why this happens? I cannot find any articles or YT videos explaining this behavior.

Is my only option to keep repairing the connection and move on?

Thanks you in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Please share what your data source is?  Enterprise geodatabase, file geodatabase on network drive, other?

0 Kudos
GIS412
by
New Contributor III

The user says that tells me that the sources are on our gis portal, but all that data originates from a network drive.

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

It could happen if you're moving either the mxd or the data sources between sessions. Setting relative paths instead of absolute could help.

This problem is also less likely to occur with ArcGIS Pro than ArcMap. If you're new to Esri products, I recommend you work with ArcGIS Pro instead. ArcMap will enter mature support next year and there will be no future releases. If your maintenatnce program is current, you already have access to ArcGIS Pro. You can learn how to get it here: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/faq.htm

0 Kudos
GIS412
by
New Contributor III

I know we have ArcGIS Pro, but not sure we have enough licenses to add him. I may have to bring this up with my manager, I'm not sure he is aware of ArcMap being in mature support next year.

Thank you for the link on relative paths! I will explore this route before trying anything else.

0 Kudos