Thinking of learning ArcGIS or similar.

05-09-2023 08:52 PM
aquino
by
New Contributor

Looking for a career change to something I can get a job abroad/ remote if needed and pays a decent salary. I am a geotechnical engineer but looking for something with a better work-life balance (not on site all the time)

I have had some exposure (not use) of ArcGIS with my job and it seems to be an in-demand skill. Wondering what’s the best way to learn ArcGIS without going to university and if it’s worth the investment in the software, training and computer.

Thanks for any advice and knowledge.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AdminWPZ
New Contributor III

Maybe check out online GIS courses, e.g. on coursera.org? There are courses that partner with ESRI. I've no experience with them but so far my general experiences with Coursera (python programming courses) have been good.

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

You can get a personal use license to learn skills and build your portfolio: https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-for-personal-use/buy

There are many tutorials on the Documentation gallery. I recommend starting with this series for beginners: Essential ArcGIS Online skills, and branching out from there. If you start with ArcGIS Online skills, you won't have to invest in a fancy computer right away. 

After you've completed some tutorials, go to Esri training, where you can find more courses, including MOOCs and instructor led classes. They also offer certification. This is probably a good route to take if you are not going to enroll in a university, since it can provide proof of your GIS skills on a resume.

You might also find a mentor in the industry. For example, there is a mentorship program offered by URISA.