authoritative source for ArcGIS Urban tutorials?

Jump to solution
01-30-2024 09:22 AM
ChrisGiamarino
New Contributor III

Hi,

I am a Planner working on general plans, scenario planning, and build outs with ArcGIS Urban. However, the tutorials and webinars provided by ArcGIS Urban almost feel ad hoc and opaque, especially any sort of documentation. Is there an authoritative series of tutorials to start adding zoning types, zoning feature layers, and parcels? I've attempted to add them with the client-based data I have, but all the tutorials esri provides are working with complete data sets that don't really show the background data cleaning and uploading process that is like 90% of all GIS before data visualization. 

Appreciate any helpful resources. Excited to learn and familiarized myself with Urban. There are just a lot of resources that don't seem well organized. Simple things like preparing your zoning data to fit Urban's land use types with detailed instructions and screenshots would go a long way in increasing the accessibility and learnability of this application. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChrisGiamarino
New Contributor III

Hi Eliza, thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies
ElizaGutierrez-Dewar
Esri Contributor

Hi Chris! We are currently working on updating our tutorials and you should see updates in the next months. In the meantime, you can use this learning path which consolidates some resources. It sounds like for your needs this blog will be of the most value, it reviews processing parcels for Urban and preparing zoning types.

I hope this helps you! Thanks.

0 Kudos
ChrisGiamarino
New Contributor III

Hi Eliza, thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. 

ChrisGiamarino
New Contributor III

@ElizaGutierrez-Dewar 

I had started this course yesterday. When I try to import the Hardeeville FGDB, I get two errors. 

First error has to do with the coordinate system:

ChrisGiamarino_0-1707239774749.png

The second error is 'Cannot initialize Urban Model': 

ChrisGiamarino_1-1707239935586.png

Any idea how I can override this error? 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

This error with the fGDB has been corrected as of 2/16/24.  Please try the tutorial again and let me know if it works or not.  Thank you!

In addition, you can find free ArcGIS Urban training here as well.

0 Kudos
NormWright
New Contributor II

I'm attempting to complete the Hardeeville exercise and "File Geodatabase" is not available as an option in the dropdown. Is this specific tutorial outdated? Is the File Geodatabase option removed from the software? 

NormWright_1-1714754128447.png

NormWright_0-1714754051806.png

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

@NormWright - yes, with the February 2024 ArcGIS Urban release, the workflow to create an Urban model based on the file geodatabase and exporting to a file geodatabase was deprecated/retired from the user interface.  The Content Team that authored this web course is aware and is currently working on an updated version of this web course.  Sorry for the inconvenience that this deprecation is causing you in completing the web course.

NormWright
New Contributor II

Thank, Robert. I'm a new user and I have a major scenario workshop coming up in a few months and I want to use this tool (there is so much promise here!) but performance is slow when creating models, I see "BETA" on the header in Project views (which makes me nervous), I can't recreate workflows from examples (especially for old YT videos) ... there are other issues but I don't want to pile on. 

NormWright_0-1714923313824.png

What is the roadmap/ETA for new tutorials? What can I do in the meantime to be successful with this tool? Huge questions, I know, and I'm making progress via trial/error but it's touch and go. 

EDIT: revised questions/comments for clarity. 

0 Kudos
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

@NormWright - in Training Services, the Content Team is updating the 4 web courses on ArcGIS Urban and we hope to have them done in the near future.  Sorry about the nebulous timeframe as I'm not at liberty to discuss.  BUT with that said, there are 6 Learn ArcGIS web courses for free you can take at this URL - Tutorial Gallery | Documentation (arcgis.com) - that may assist with learning the product.  Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
ElizaGutierrez-Dewar
Esri Contributor

Hey Norm! I am curious about the workshop you mentioned and how you plan to use Urban. Could I follow up with you directly to learn a little more and see if I can answer some questions?

0 Kudos