Connected trace terminates at structural attachment association - why?

Jump to solution
a week ago
JürgenBiendara
Occasional Contributor

As part of a proof of concept, we would like to represent the insulator chains in the overhead conductor area using a structure line. The basis for the PoC is the Electric Utility Network Foundation, whose configuration we have extended (to keep the effort to a minimum). Our test case can be seen in Figure “IntendedDataStructure.jpg”.

The green elements in the graphic are already present in the Foundation, the red elements were added by us in the configuration. We have made the following changes to the Foundation configuration:

• Definition of a new structure line asset type “Insulating Equipment - Insulator Chain”
  • Assignment of the “Structure” association role to the “Transition Point - Transition Point” structure junction
  • Definition of new rules:
    • Junction-Junction between “Electric High Voltage Pole - Pole HV” and “Transition Point - Transition Point”
    • Junction-Edge between “Transition Point - Transition Point” and “Insulating Equipment - Insulator Chain”
    • Structural Attachment between “Transition Point - Transition Point” and “High Voltage Attachment - AC Overhead HV”

With the configuration additions listed above, the data structure from figure “IntendedDataStructure.jpg” can be captured in the Utility Network without errors, there are no validation errors (see figure “FinalDataStructure.jpg”).

To cut a long story short, the connected trace unfortunately does not lead to the expected result (Figures "ConnectedTraceResult1.jpg" to "ConnectedTraceResult4.jpg"). My trace always starts at a single trace location, no barriers or conditions are formulated. But no matter where I place the start position for the connected trace, the trace always ends at the transition point marked with the red X (see Figure “IntendedDataStructure.jpg”). It doesn't seem to get past the structural attachment association.

Does anyone have an explanation for this, what am I missing?

Thanks for any help or idea.
Jürgen

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Hi Jurgen.  

You could automate this using python, but it would not perform very well.  

The other option is to submit an enhancement request.  

Another option is to change how you are modeling these features.  Consider putting the insulator in the Electric Domain network.  I would also consider making the insulators non-spatial.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

In the Utility Network, Structural Attachments are a special kind of connection and not viewed the same as a Junction to Junction connectivity or similar.  Therefore, the connected trace will not traverse Structural Attachments.  If you have the trace option Include Structures checked, then it will return the Attached Structures, but not things in the structure network that are connected to the first attached structure feature.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
JürgenBiendara
Occasional Contributor

@JohnAlsup 

Hello John,
Thank you very much for helping me with this. I would like to ask a follow-up question.
Is there a way to overcome this gap and achieve the desired result with just one trace? I could imagine two solutions:
Model the insulator chain as an electric line, then the trace would run from the overhead conductor to the pole. How would you rate this option?
Based on the attached structure feature found, a second trace is automatically run, which then follows the structure network. Can such a follow-up trace be automated somehow?
Many thanks again and best regards,
Jürgen

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Hi Jurgen.  

You could automate this using python, but it would not perform very well.  

The other option is to submit an enhancement request.  

Another option is to change how you are modeling these features.  Consider putting the insulator in the Electric Domain network.  I would also consider making the insulators non-spatial.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
JürgenBiendara
Occasional Contributor

Hi John,
Thanks for the feedback. Modeling the insulator chains non-spatially is probably not possible, as they are to be displayed in a 3D representation.
Cheers, Jürgen

0 Kudos