Error ArcGIS Pro 3.3 Terminal Connections Multiple UN Device Layers in Map

Jump to solution
2 weeks ago
rlyding
New Contributor III

After upgrading to ArcGIS Pro 3.3 I am getting the following message when trying to set terminal connections with the Modify Terminal Connections. "More than one coincident devices found." On further investigation it appears to happen if you have the Utility Network Device layer multiple times in the map. Even when the device layer is disabled or has a definition query applied. This was a previous issue if you had multiple UN line layers in the map you would get an error if the top most layer wasn't the UN line layer. The issue with multiple UN line layers was resolved in 3.3 previous bug report linked below, however now having multiple device layers is causing an error. This is somewhat limiting as I have my edit maps setup to have the devices and other layers multiple times in the map to classify the data and help editors. 

TerminalConnectionsTool.PNG

Previous Bug: https://support.esri.com/en-us/bug/in-arcgis-pro-the-attempt-to-modify-terminal-connection-bug-00016...

Workflow: Add Utility Network Device layer multiple times to the same UN editing map. Attempt to set a terminal connection with the Modify Terminal Connections. Returns "More than one coincident devices found." error.

Possible Workarounds: Use the new Snap Chip to set terminals on new line feature this will only work for new features being added. For existing features you could use the Attributes pane but need to know the proper terminal domain value to set on the line for the specific connected device. 

Version Info:

UN 6

ArcGIS Pro 3.3

Portal 11.2

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

@rlyding This appears to be a bug.  I will look into this further, and I'd recommend reaching out to Support to get this logged.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
DamienPyne
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Just out of curiosity, what type of workflow would require you to add a Utility Network Device layer multiple times in the map?

I do know issues we have seen testing Pro3.2 we had been advised adding the service multiple times can create issues.

0 Kudos
rlyding
New Contributor III

For editors they may not need to see all the data and it is helpful to toggle things on and off quickly. So pulling in layers multiple times allows you to classify out the data making editing templates and symbology less complicated. One example is having different water types have their own set of layers or showing abandoned features isolated from active. Overall yes you could edit things on one set of layers, however breaking things out into parts makes people editing lives easier. I have a support ticket in with ESRI and will post bug report if any that results. Generally I post things I find with UN here just so people are aware of possible issues they can run into.  

0 Kudos
DamienPyne
Occasional Contributor

Also, another consideration is your Pro/Ent pairing.  We have been advised to keep our products aligned as per the release plan:
Announcing the 2024 Network Management Release Plan (esri.com)
Pro3.1::Ent11.1
Pro3.3::Ent11.3

DamienPyne_0-1715809704278.png

0 Kudos
JonDeRose
Esri Contributor

@rlyding This appears to be a bug.  I will look into this further, and I'd recommend reaching out to Support to get this logged.

rlyding
New Contributor III

Thanks Jon. I have a ticket in with support. Case Number #03628004

rlyding
New Contributor III

Support was able to replicate the issue and it has been logged as a bug.

BUG-000167562 : In ArcGIS Pro, when attempting to set terminal connection the Error Message: More than one coincident devices found is displayed in the Modify Terminal Connections Pane.

0 Kudos
Jconner256
New Contributor II

Did support provide any type of workaround?  I just ran into the same issue after being told Pro 3.1.5 resolved the previous issue. 

0 Kudos
rlyding
New Contributor III

In versions before ArcGIS Pro 3.3 the workaround I had was to make sure the UN line layer you where using to set terminal connections was above any other line layers in the content window.

In ArcGIS Pro 3.3 where the line layer(s) are in the contents pane doesn't matter anymore, but if you have the UN device layers multiple times in your map you get the above error. So 3.3 fixed one issue, but created a new one. 

Here is the link to the bug in 3.3. https://support.esri.com/en-us/bug/in-arcgis-pro-when-attempting-to-set-a-terminal-connect-bug-00016...

Currently no support work arounds listed for 3.3. The workaround I have been using in 3.3 is to set the terminal connection from/to attributes via the attributes pane for existing features. For new features in Pro 3.3 you can now also use the new Snap Chip which allows you to select a terminal when snapping to a line. Or you could remove any duplicate device layers in your map which depending on how you have things classified might not be ideal.

If you are on Pro version 3.1.5 make sure the UN line layer you use to set terminals is at the top most level in your contents of your map and is selectable and editable. What I did in my edit map is pull in the UN line layer with no definition queries and made it the top most layer and I toggle it on and off as needed when I set my terminals. Further down in my map contents I have my other UN line layers classified out as need and those are used for all other editing except for when it comes to setting the terminals. 

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

The best solution would be to used subtype group layers and only add each class to the map once.  I know you want to hide features based on some attribute, but think you could still accomplish that with subtype layers and multiple attributes for symbology.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos