How to exclude the Abandoned or Retired devices in the UN validation?

11-28-2023 09:45 AM
MatheusSparapani
New Contributor III

Hi,

This is my system configuration:

• Water Utility Network version 5
  • ArcGIS Enterprise 10.9.1
  • ArcGIS Pro 2.9.5

I would like to know if it is possible to exclude LifeCycle Status (Abandoned and Retired) from topology validations, I am facing a problem in my network because of this.

I have an End Cap that was retired, and I created another connection (unknown) in its place, in this case, the End Cap was "Retired" and the Fitting Unknown was "In Service".

MatheusSparapani_0-1701193316980.png

MatheusSparapani_1-1701193335451.png

However, the following error is returning on my network, and the only solution I could find to resolve this error was to delete one of the connections, but, in the system, we must have both, because we need to maintain the history of our network.

MatheusSparapani_2-1701193345496.png

Is there any configuration mode that does not consider some specific LifeCycle Status in topological validations?

This is very important for the Water System.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
MarceloMarques
Esri Regular Contributor

Using historical moments with the utility network (esri.com)

What is archiving?—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

| Marcelo Marques | Principal Product Engineer | Esri |
| Cloud & Database Administrator | OCP - Oracle Certified Professional |
I work with Enterprise Geodatabases since 1997.
“ I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them." Isaac Isimov
0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

No, A feature cannot be excluded from topology based on a network attribute.  It can only be set as a barrier to a subnetwork.

MichaelParma
New Contributor III

@MikeMillerGIS can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the recommended practice in this case is to offset the z-value of the retired asset (e.g. by -1) to avoid the conflict.

MikeMillerGIS

Yes, that is one way to exclude it from being connected.  Move all abandoned assets to a different Z

Brian_Colson
New Contributor III

We also created a standalone feature class, outside of the network, which we can copy / paste the retired features into, which removes it from the topology.  The feature class is within the same database, and edit service, just outside the network. It works. 

We haven't gotten to Z yet, which is why we went that route.  

Brian Colson, GISP
0 Kudos
MatheusSparapani
New Contributor III

Hi Michael, Did you do this automatically for more than one point?

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Take a look at the https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/tool-reference/data-management/adjust-3d-z.htm tool.  This will shift the Z values for a selected set of features

MikeMillerGIS

We just finished a prototype of an Attribute Rule to lay down a set of classes to store abandoned assets and a set of attributes rules to move features to these classes and remove the abandoned assets.  If you want to test it out, try out the atbx here - https://github.com/Esri/Utility-Data-Management-Support-Tools/tree/Preview3.1.2

The GP tool is in the Attribute Rules toolset, call Create Abandon Classes.

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS
0 Kudos