Publish Utility Network: Subtype Display as Code

Jump to solution
03-14-2024 08:15 AM
KateY
by
New Contributor II

Hello all the UN wonderer,

I have a few UN publishing question and hoping that this community can give me a hand on this.

1. What is the recommended way to publish UN? Is it by asset group, asset type or even subtype group layer? Coming across this post Understanding the Differences Between Utility Network Maps (esri.com) suggesting that it is advisable not to publish UNM by subtype group layer as this will cause some issue with domain and subtypes.

2. We have then published UNM by AssetType together with all the symbology, but it turns out that Asset group is displayed as code in Map Viewer. This happens to Feature layer (Utility Network). Anyone has any idea on what we should be checking at?

KateY_1-1710425293863.png 

KateY_2-1710425616045.png

In Map Image Layer, asset group is able to displayed the description.

KateY_3-1710429169528.png

*Note: Using AE v11.1

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rlyding
New Contributor III

Hi @KateY, We published our Sewer and Water UN by Asset Group (subtype). The layer symbology in the map you are using to publish needs to be classified by asset group otherwise you will lose any domains set at the subtype level. As far as I know this has been a limitation with feature services, where if you have domains assigned per subtype you need to publish by subtype to access those domains. We originally tried to publish as Asset Type and then quickly learned we had no subtype domains only the coded values, which is undesirable for field collection. We did not try the publish by subtype group, as you said there are some limitations, however it is possible the domains would work using this method, but I can't confirm that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ram
by
New Contributor II

Hi,

Hope you have downloaded Water utility foundation solution. Expand 'Deploy solution to an Enterprise Environment' in the task pane. You will get step by step process in detail to publish UN service. 

Use Water Distribution Utility Network Foundation—ArcGIS Solutions | Documentation

Ram_0-1710487423151.png

0 Kudos
KateY
by
New Contributor II

Hello @Ram , thanks for highlighting this. I tried to follow the same, but I will get subtype field display as code in Map Viewer once I published by asset type which confused me. Do you have any idea on this? Appreciate any thoughts!

0 Kudos
rlyding
New Contributor III

Hi @KateY, We published our Sewer and Water UN by Asset Group (subtype). The layer symbology in the map you are using to publish needs to be classified by asset group otherwise you will lose any domains set at the subtype level. As far as I know this has been a limitation with feature services, where if you have domains assigned per subtype you need to publish by subtype to access those domains. We originally tried to publish as Asset Type and then quickly learned we had no subtype domains only the coded values, which is undesirable for field collection. We did not try the publish by subtype group, as you said there are some limitations, however it is possible the domains would work using this method, but I can't confirm that.

0 Kudos
KateY
by
New Contributor II

Hello @rlyding , thanks for sharing! Really appreciate that! In our case, we published by asset type because we want to bring the asset type symbology to be used in the web app/field app. Can I know how did you guys bring the symbology for asset type to the web map after it has been published as asset group?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
rlyding
New Contributor III

As an update I did find a ESRI blog post the other day talking about publishing Subtype Group layers to enterprise portal it stated the following: It is possible to publish a Subtype Group Layer to Enterprise, however, it must be published as a non-hosted feature service. This means the data needs to come from a registered enterprise geodatabaseI haven't had the time to test it to see if Subtype Group layers would work specifically with publishing the UN. If it works this would give you the ability to maintain the domains and have symbology by asset type or any other attribute you choose.

At the time we weren't aware of the Subtype Group layers being a possible option for services on enterprise. Our current setup is as follows. We have a UN service that is published up by asset group on portal with the basic UN symbology included (in the Solution it is the map with the black and white symbols). This is the service we use for editing in ArcGIS Pro exclusively. I pull those layers into Pro as subtype group layers and symbolize on asset type or other attributes depending on the editors needs. This service also includes the Utility Network layer that manages the dirty areas and network topology as that is fully supported when editing UN in Pro. 

We then have a second UN service published to portal same as above by asset group with basic symbols. This is the service used for field collection maps/apps. As you may know the UN is not fully supported in the current Web Map Viewer, Field Maps and other web apps. So this service only has the feature classes of the UN (Devices, Lines, Junctions, Assemblies, Structures, etc.) and not the Utility Network layer. From here I pull these layers into a web map and use Arcade code to classify out the layers by asset type or various other attributes, and also use Arcade code for the labels. You may find you need to pull in a layer multiple times to get the feature classification required. You can also open the web maps in Pro and make all the adjustments to popups, labels, and symbology there. That is often easier than working in the web viewer. Overall it has been a somewhat frustrating process it doesn't help that there are currently some quirks/bugs to Field Maps and the Map Viewer where certain things just don't work as expected in the Portal environment vs AGOL. If you have the resources it maybe best to have multiple services one for each specific web use case, however this obviously uses more resources and is harder to maintain if schema changes occur. I think it is also worth giving the Subtype Group layers a try and see if it works with UN when publishing up. 

KateY
by
New Contributor II

Thanks @rlyding ! Really appreciate your detailed sharing👍👏

0 Kudos
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

@KateY the blog that @rlyding is referring to is this one: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-utility-network-blog/best-practices-for-working-with-utility-ne.... It discusses how the solutions team intended for users to publish their feature services and maps (asset groups in the feature service, symbology/subtype group layers in the web map/desktop map).