Specify a number of features returned by a trace?

Jump to solution
05-03-2023 02:48 PM
MaxCushner
New Contributor

Hi All, 

I have a workflow where I'm trying to identify the "parent" feature of any given feature in a utility network. This could be the line feeding a load, or the fuse at the start of a line, or anything else like that. I'd like to avoid using Diagrams for this - I need to find a way to call this in a trace using the JS API.

Working on out of the box trace parameters in pro, I can't find a way to say "trace everything upstream of here, but stop after 1 feature." Any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

What you'll need to do is use a filter barrier to limit the results (a condition barrier would cause your upstream trace to not locate a source). Its pretty typical to look for the upstream transformer, protective device, etc but I'm not aware of a way to find the first upstream feature. 

If you really do want the first upstream feature than one potential workaround would be to do an upstream trace using the connectivity results type and just look at the features that are directly connected to the current feature. In the case of loop or bi-directional flow this may be multiple features.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

What you'll need to do is use a filter barrier to limit the results (a condition barrier would cause your upstream trace to not locate a source). Its pretty typical to look for the upstream transformer, protective device, etc but I'm not aware of a way to find the first upstream feature. 

If you really do want the first upstream feature than one potential workaround would be to do an upstream trace using the connectivity results type and just look at the features that are directly connected to the current feature. In the case of loop or bi-directional flow this may be multiple features.

0 Kudos