Trace upstream to target tier

Jump to solution
02-15-2024 07:24 PM
PierreloupDucroix
Occasional Contributor II

Hello,

I am trying to trace from a LV subnetwork all the way up to the MV subnetwork, but the trace always stops at the LV subnetwork controller and doesn't go further.

On the other hand, tracing from MV down to LV subnet is working fine.

I think this may be because the LV controllers are directional, but not sure. Wasn't the "target tier" option especially made for this purpose ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PierreloupDucroix

Right,

I'll try to relaunch my script with only one tier group for the 3 tiers, and proper ranks

before I had [name, type, tier group, subnet field, rank] :

PierreloupDucroix_1-1708425421323.png

and next :

PierreloupDucroix_0-1708425371613.png

let's see tomorrow how it goes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

Yes this should work.  You are setting the target to the MV I assume.  Did you try it with and without indeterminate flow?  Can you post a screen shot of the LV controller and trace settings?

0 Kudos
PierreloupDucroix

Here are some tests :

1- Downstrem from MV to target LV -> OK (note that I had to remove the traversability "category = subnetwork controller" and activate Indeterminate flow for this to work)

PierreloupDucroix_0-1708141094300.png

2- Upstream from LV subnet controller on the MV (busbar) side -> OK

PierreloupDucroix_1-1708141237065.png

3- Upstream from LV to target MV -> KO with and without indeterminate flow and whatever I put or remove from traversability conditions.

PierreloupDucroix_2-1708141332567.png

Does the MV subnetwork definition have an impact on the way the target tier behave ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

That looks correct.  I am not really sure.  What are you condition barriers?  Do you have propagation configured? 

0 Kudos
PierreloupDucroix

My condition barriers are the followings :

- status = open

- lifecycle status != in service

- category = ground

- category = subnetwork controller

note that for some reason (Streetlight network nested in LV network) I had to create a hierarchical network composed of two tier group as follows :

- tier group "MV" with only MV subnetworks

- tier group "LV" with tiers for LV and for Streetlight

Is it possible that the trace from a tier from one group to a tier from the other group is causing the issue ?

Because after some tests, I don't have any issue tracing from LV to the target streetlight tier.

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

You should remove - category = subnetwork controller.  That is not needed and is handled by the subnetwork.  I think this is your issue.

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

This is hierarchical, hmm.  That definitely complicates things.  Tier Groups are typically used to model different commodities or different rankings of the same commodities.  I am not sure what the expectation is when tracing across tier groups.

0 Kudos
PierreloupDucroix

This is what I tried first, but it's not working :

- when removing subnet controller category in the upstream trace, it does not allow tracing the target MV tier.

- when removing subnet controller category from the MV subnet definition, it breaks every subnetwork, because the propagation of the subnetwork doesn't stop at the LV feeder, then it finds some LV devices and junctions downstream, that are not valid in the MV tier...

Ex here when updating the MV subnet (blue) after removing the barrier

PierreloupDucroix_2-1708425041013.png

0 Kudos
MikeMillerGIS

Just a guess, but I think you are an issue with using tier groups to create a partitioned network.  I am not sure as this is not a configuration I have tested.

0 Kudos
PierreloupDucroix

Right,

I'll try to relaunch my script with only one tier group for the 3 tiers, and proper ranks

before I had [name, type, tier group, subnet field, rank] :

PierreloupDucroix_1-1708425421323.png

and next :

PierreloupDucroix_0-1708425371613.png

let's see tomorrow how it goes

0 Kudos