Unable to Rename UN Asset Group in Asset Package

Jump to solution
01-08-2024 02:25 PM
Paul_Lalancette
New Contributor II

I am currently trying to use the D_Rename table in a UN Stormwater Asset Package (AP) to rename an existing asset group, Manhole Channel, to a new name, Junction Box, but am not getting a positive result. Below are the steps I followed to perform this update.

1. Using the “Create Asset Package Rename Table” GP tool I added a new field and alias using the “Rename Fields” tool inputs.
  2. Next, I opened the D_Rename table and populated the new value of “Junction box” and then saved my edits.
  3. I then used the “Apply Asset Package” GP tool to update the existing AP with the new asset group name. To do this I updated the following options in the GP tool.
    • Asset Package: Set to working AP
    • Both Structure and Stormwater domain Networks were applied
    • Rename using: Selected the new column that was created using the “Create Asset Package Rename Table”
    • Input Utility Network: Selected previously created UN FGDB. Note: Network Topology had never been enabled in this UN.
    • Load Data: I chose not to load data as source migration is still pending.
  4. After executing the tool, I received the following error.
    • “Junction Box Subtype Code | description must be 32 | Manhole Channel.”

Can anyone provide suggestions into why this workflow is not working as expected? Are there any other possible options I could take to rename the Asset Group in the AP?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

To describe what @JohnAlsup said in a slightly different way, there are many schema change or configuration changes that are not allowed once a utility network, you can find the full list in the online help by searching for "currently not allowed".

A common workaround for this restriction is to export your utility network to a new asset package, making the configuration change, and deploying a new geodatabase that contains the schema change. This is a fairly heavy-handed solution, since it requires you to lose all your versions and history when you create the new geodatabase, but if you absolutely need to make one of the schema changes that is not currently supported it's your only option.

One thing to note is that the reason why we don't support many of those schema changes is that they would require making changes to all data across all versions in order to maintain a valid topology. So once you've made your schema change you will likely need to run scripts to make changes to your data.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
PaulLeBlanc1
Esri Contributor

Apply Asset Package is additive only -- you cannot use it to rename an existing asset group / asset type in your target UN.

The rename table is typically used when deploying a brand new UN.

0 Kudos
JoaquinMadrid1
New Contributor III

Since, as Paul indicated, you cannot use the workflow you describe above... you could always, with some extra work, rename the AG within your AP. But... you need to be careful and rename every instance of it!

So, I would start by opening your AP within a Pro session. Then,

1. Right-click your Structure Junction table and, under Data Design, choose Subtypes.
  2. In the Subtypes Group of the Subtypes ribbon, click Create/Manage.
  3. Change the AG name.
  4. Then... open all the B_* tables, and for each of them,
    1. Search for where Asset Group is equal to 'Manhole Channel'.
    2. Use a Calculate on the AG field to change it to 'Junction box'.

Not all tables will have an AG field, and for those with the AG field (some times From AG or To AG) not all of them will make a reference to your 'Manhole Channel'. 

Then, if you have data in your AP, you need to check the contents of the Structure Junction table, as well as the C_Associations.

I hope this helps.

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

if you are in the asset package, it is best to use the D_Rename options as opposed to manually renaming anything.  Using D_Rename, you can change the name in one place, manually renaming objects may require changing hundreds of records in the asset package definitions. 

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
0 Kudos
TobeyKane-Seitz
New Contributor III

Hey John, how do you recommend applying the D_Rename option in the asset package? My understanding is that the change is only applied when running the "apply asset package" or "asset package to geodatabase" tool and checking the rename using option (and supplying the D_Rename table) 

0 Kudos
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Hi Tobey.

The rows (renames) in the D_RENAME table are only applied during apply asset package to the target utility network.  Also, the object cannot current exist in the target utility network.  The name in the asset package renames the same.  If you really want the name changed in an asset package (may be for data loading) then you can export the utility network you created to a new asset package.  However, I would not recommend using the apply asset package to load data.  

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

To describe what @JohnAlsup said in a slightly different way, there are many schema change or configuration changes that are not allowed once a utility network, you can find the full list in the online help by searching for "currently not allowed".

A common workaround for this restriction is to export your utility network to a new asset package, making the configuration change, and deploying a new geodatabase that contains the schema change. This is a fairly heavy-handed solution, since it requires you to lose all your versions and history when you create the new geodatabase, but if you absolutely need to make one of the schema changes that is not currently supported it's your only option.

One thing to note is that the reason why we don't support many of those schema changes is that they would require making changes to all data across all versions in order to maintain a valid topology. So once you've made your schema change you will likely need to run scripts to make changes to your data.

0 Kudos