Utility Network in the asset package

11-28-2023 06:22 AM
OliviaGill3
New Contributor III

When I plan to migrate from the asset package GDB to the UN model are there any of the configuration tables / values that are obligatory at this stage that will disallow me from migrating to the UN. I'm trying to plan for a full migration and want to collate a list tasks such as setting connectivity rules, creating rules etc. in a sequence. What MUST I do in the asset package in other words and what can I then configure in the UN model?

Any help appreciated

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
TobeyKane-Seitz
New Contributor III

Most of the configuring you may want to do (such as adding connectivity rules or attribute rules) can be done in the UN. However, the workspace and network topology state is important. This is a helpful link with many different UN management tasks that lists what conditions need to be met for the task: https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/utility-network/network-topology-actions.htm 

RobertKrisher
Esri Regular Contributor

The asset packages come pre-configured with everything you need to get started. If you accept the model without changes, you don't have to do anything. The most important thing is to understand what you can't do once you've deployed the utility network. This is captured in the link that @TobeyKane-Seitz provided, look for items that are marked as "currently not allowed".

In general, you can create and assign new things, but once you've deployed can't unassign, remove, or delete things without going back to an asset package.

JoaquinMadrid1
New Contributor III

In total agreement with both previous replies... I will add that our experience is that the AP offers a very efficient way to configure the UN because you are dealing directly with flat tables. In some cases, you may even want to export those tables into Excel files to facilitate some tasks. (Just remember not to bring the OBJECTID back into the AP when you import the Excel...

As Robert indicated, the foundation Solutions bring the AP's already configured. And, if you think that there are elements you do not need (say, Asset Groups or types or fields or domains...) you can use the D_Configuration table (and the Create Asset Package Configuration Table OOTB GPTool) to tweak your schema. Using this workflow ensures that if you get rid of an Asset type, for example, all the schema elements depending on that Asset Type are also safely removed, like Association Role and Rules, and Terminal configuration potentially assigned to such AT.)

With care... you could even use the Asset Package exported from a "blank" Utility Network as a great way to test your knowledge of the UN and put together your own schema. Great exercise... but, if you want to be safe... Go Foundations!