Water Distribution UN- Possible to force water mains to end in a junction?

Jump to solution
07-17-2023 02:08 PM
TSmith
by
New Contributor III

Hey everyone, 

I am unsure if there is a method using the UN rules/topology to flag errors in cases where mains intersect without a node (i.e. tee/reducer, etc) 

I understand that a system junction is created whenever two lines of the same asset type intersect (i.e. 2 transmission mains) but obviously for hydraulic modeling purposes and GIS best practice- we would want to identify mains that terminate without a junction feature and resolve those. I know this can be done with Data Reviewer, FME, etc. 

Is Junction-Edge-Junction rule what I am looking for here? We want to minimize cases where mains are not split at valves, tees, etc. Any advice is appreciated. Am aware that the connectivity policy can be set to any vertex or end vertex only, but I don't think this fixes the issue 100%, or does it? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

As two features of the same AG/AT are allowed to connected without a user junction, you are going to have to add the system junctions features and then preform a spatial join or some type of analysis to determine this.  The Utility Data Management Support toolbox has a tool to create a view of the system junctions.  Then you can use a spatial join to find count of intersecting lines per junction.

MikeMillerGIS_0-1689673740100.png

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MikeMillerGIS
Esri Frequent Contributor

As two features of the same AG/AT are allowed to connected without a user junction, you are going to have to add the system junctions features and then preform a spatial join or some type of analysis to determine this.  The Utility Data Management Support toolbox has a tool to create a view of the system junctions.  Then you can use a spatial join to find count of intersecting lines per junction.

MikeMillerGIS_0-1689673740100.png