3 content issues about the PrintWidget (V3.0)

Jump to solution
07-20-2012 04:55 AM
ShaningYu
Frequent Contributor
For the map to be printed,
1)   Can the North Arrow be added and included?
2)   Can the ruler by the Coordinates be included?
3)   In  http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/62512-Print-s-Disclaimer (Sources: Esri, DeLorme, NAVTEQ, TomTom, Intermap, iPC, USGS, FAO, NPS, NRCAN, GeoBase, IGN, Kadaster NL, Ordnance Survey, Esri Japan, METI, Esri China (Hong Kong), and the GIS User Community, Copyright:© 2009 ESRI), I reported the Disclaimer there.  How can this content be customized?
Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
...in which line of code it is read?  Can you hint this point?

It is part of the server side print task which automatically reads it from the service metadata. I'm not familiar enough with the server side print task, but the important part to understand is that it is not on the client/browser/API side.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
Assuming you are using the 3.0 PrintWidget and ArcGIS Server printing...

The PrintingTools service included with ArcGIS for Server references a preconfigured folder with eight map layouts.  If you want to use your own layouts, you can publish your own service for printing web maps. You configure this service to reference your own map layouts.

See "Using your own layouts for printing":
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Using_your_own_layouts_for_printing/015400...
0 Kudos
ShaningYu
Frequent Contributor
bjorn:  Thanks for your response.  The reference you provided is about the layout.  My Q's are related to some information displayed in the printed map, rather than related to layout.
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
The reference you provided is about the layout.  My Q's are related to some information displayed in the printed map, rather than related to layout.

Hi Shaning,
Maybe I'm still misunderstanding it, but the main thing being sent from the print widget to the print task on the server is just the list of layers to print and the extent. No widgets, scale bar etc.

So to answer your three questions:
1) The North Arrow cannot be added and included from the web clients when using the standard print service.  You would have to create your own print layout in ArcMap.
2) The ruler by the Coordinates cannot be included from the web clients when using the standard print service.  You would have to create your own print layout in ArcMap.
3) The source text cannot be customized from the web clients.  It is automatically retrieved from the map service "Copyright Text", see for example bottom of http://server.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Topo_Map/MapServer

Hope this helps...
0 Kudos
ShaningYu
Frequent Contributor
Thanks for your response.  Even though the source (basemap) text can't be customized, in which line of code it is read?  Can you hint this point?  Thanks.
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
...in which line of code it is read?  Can you hint this point?

It is part of the server side print task which automatically reads it from the service metadata. I'm not familiar enough with the server side print task, but the important part to understand is that it is not on the client/browser/API side.
0 Kudos
ShaningYu
Frequent Contributor
Thanks so much.
0 Kudos