Can I  customize the path where I want to save the attachment???

12-03-2012 08:08 PM
AuraRamos_Lora
New Contributor II
Can I  customize the path where I want to save the attachment???

Hello, could someone please explain me where are the attachment??? Maybe into my gdb?? Can I customize the path? Can I save on a different server to which the project is located?

I am using the Edit widget and version 3 of the flex viewer... to attach my information.

Thank you all for your support, without you this project would not be possible ..  😉
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
The attachements are stored in the GDB itself.  You should be able to see them in ArcMap by identify feature and click the attachments dropdown:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19699[/ATTACH]

or identify it with ArcCatalog and see them as well:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19700[/ATTACH]

R_
0 Kudos
AuraRamos_Lora
New Contributor II
Thank you.

My problem is that my geodatabase is growing and I need to put those attachments on another location, apparently I found someone with the same problem but I did not understand the part where he divide his GDB.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/18644-create-attachments-with-scripts?p=67997#post67997

in the last part

:confused:
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
I see that other post had a VBA snippet for taking files from another location and automatically attaching them to the geodatabase, but didn't see anything about dividing one.

Some of the post wanted to carry the link as the attachment, then have the files elsewhere.  Seems like this would just be having a path in a field and hyperlinked to the file, but not with realted 1:many data.

In any case, are you just running out of server space, or is your GDB getting too large for performance?

When I have "huge" datasets, and the GDB gets too large, I split them.

Not sure what your workflow is, but could you have most your data in one FGDB, then have the editing feature and it's attachments in a separate FGDB?

R_
0 Kudos
AuraRamos_Lora
New Contributor II
You're right.

I have the same problem as post the number 12.
Exist a solution for these?
Basically,   I want that the attachments aren't  into my geodatabase, I want the attachment are in a physical path outside my geodatabase. Is that possible??

Saving the hyperlink to later be identified as an element with an attachment and can be downloaded.

thank you very much 😄
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor
Not that I am aware of, but that doesn't mean it isn't possible.

I believe that all "attachemnts" are in the GDB, and since the edit widget is what you are referring to, not sure that it can be done.

The popups and several other widgets support this, but I don't think "attachments" can work that way.

Hopefully someone else will chime in and prove me wrong 😉

R_
0 Kudos
RachelS
Occasional Contributor III
Aura,
Have you been able to resolve this as I too would like to store my attachments in a folder separately.
Rachel
0 Kudos